My Mother's Day Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Hi everyone! So, here is what has been going on. Yesterday (Saturday) I started feeling funny and had a bad headache, and I was very swollen all over (especially my legs). I was just feeling really weird, so we went to the ER, where they started running tests. My EKGs have been good, and a CT Scan showed there was no bleeding in my head (and they found an actual brain, not just a big hairball as we expected!). :D My blood pressure and blood glucose levels were up. Even though my tests were turning out good, I have so many risk factors for heart disease, that they kept me for observation, and then the cardiologist said today that he wants me to stay again tonight and have a stress test tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will go home tomorrow after the stress test. I'm sure I will. No chest pains, just tightening in the jaw at the beginning and a bad headache. I learned that diabetics (especially women) don't always feel heart attacks because of diabetic neuropathy. One nurse told me that when a diabetic comes in to the ER they automatically check the heart.

James stayed overnight with me last night and is staying again tonight, sleeping in a reclining chair next to my bed. :cool: I needed a few things, so he went home and got them earlier today, and because I had made him promise, he took a nap, then came back tonight. He said the dog was going nuts looking for me. :cool:

Oh, a stress test, my favorite! I hope you are doing okay. It's no fun being in the hospital.

Yeah, I'm sure I am okay. I need to do better with diet and exercise. I am definitely NOT looking forward to the stress test! I have never had one, but I have heard about them. :ermm:

oh geez, barbara. i'll keep everything crossed until we know you're ok.

wait, i think i'm getting a dvt.

i'll just say a prayer then, ok? :)

I've had two stress tests, Shrek ended up getting a Chemical Stress test...I was glad for that, I think a regular one would have killed him.

Oh, Barbara, I am so sorry to hear all this going on. Sending lots of prayers and hugs for you and James (and Cubbie too).

Keep us posted and if there is anything I can do, James knows how to get hold of me!

Barbara, sorry you're going through this. At least all this testing will give you peace of mind. Take care.

Gosh, not a good way to spend Mother's day Barbara! I was really apprehensive about having a stress test recently as I'm badly outa shape, but it turned out to be much easier than I had been led to believe. Personally I really wanted to avoid a chemically induced test as my late husband had a medical emergency with one. Keep it natural if you can.
Keeping good thoughts for you.

Thank you everyone! I got to leave the hospital around 6:00 tonight.

They gave me the chemical stress test, and it was absolutely a piece of cake! I barely felt anything. The technician said they like to use the chemical ones because they let you really see what is going on in the heart. They also did a sonogram and I got to watch my heart beating, which was :cool:.

There is a little thickening in the walls of my heart, so I need to work on getting my blood pressure back down. The cardiologist adjusted one of my blood pressure medicines. She said that one area didn't show well on the pictures, but from the way the rest of my heart looked she didn't recommend doing anything more invasive to check it out. I will go back to see her in a few weeks and have another type of stress test (possibly a sonogram stress test).

I have just about every risk factor other than smoking, but she said that not smoking is a HUGE plus.

There are no heart valve problems (my mom's death was partly due to a heart valve problem that no one knew she had had her whole life).

So everything looked pretty good, and I just need to watch my diet and start getting some exercise.

Barbara L said:
Thank you everyone! I got to leave the hospital around 6:00 tonight.

They gave me the chemical stress test, and it was absolutely a piece of cake! I barely felt anything. The technician said they like to use the chemical ones because they let you really see what is going on in the heart. They also did a sonogram and I got to watch my heart beating, which was :cool:.

There is a little thickening in the walls of my heart, so I need to work on getting my blood pressure back down. The cardiologist adjusted one of my blood pressure medicines. She said that one area didn't show well on the pictures, but from the way the rest of my heart looked she didn't recommend doing anything more invasive to check it out. I will go back to see her in a few weeks and have another type of stress test (possibly a sonogram stress test).

I have just about every risk factor other than smoking, but she said that not smoking is a HUGE plus.

There are no heart valve problems (my mom's death was partly due to a heart valve problem that no one knew she had had her whole life).

So everything looked pretty good, and I just need to watch my diet and start getting some exercise.

YAY!!! Great news, Barbara, and certainly doable!

CJ late as usual. Listen here girl, you start getting that exercise or I'll come and get you. Really Barbara, please take care of yourself. We all love and care about you. Tell James I'm so proud of him staying with you as he did. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
hugs
cj

What? No treadmill??? No fair!...
:-p

CJ late as usual. Listen here girl, you start getting that exercise or I'll come and get you. Really Barbara, please take care of yourself. We all love and care about you. Tell James I'm so proud of him staying with you as he did. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
hugs
cj
Well now that you have promised to visit me if I don't take care of myself, I can't! :angel: I will take care of myself, and you do the same!

Tell you what. We will find a pool that is half way between SC and BC and walk there. Then when we meet we will do some water walking together and walk home. We should BOTH have cured what ails us by then :LOL:

If you need any help with the diet let me know - special diets is my specialty....after cakes covered in ooey gooey frosting of course :ermm::ROFLMAO: (I really DO have heart healthy but tasty options)

Seriously my dear friend take it easy. I am so glad it is workable and my prayers, love and hugs are still with both you and James. I am sure Cubbie and the cats are glad to see you too.

:heart::heart::heart:

Last edited:
Tell you what. We will find a pool that is half way between SC and BC and walk there. Then when we meet we will do some water walking together and walk home. We should BOTH have cured what ails us by then

If you need any help with the diet let me know - special diets is my specialty....after cakes covered in ooey gooey frosting of course :ermm::ROFLMAO: (I really DO have heart healthy but tasty options)

Seriously my dear friend take it easy. I am so glad it is workable and my prayers, love and hugs are still with both you and James. I am sure Cubbie and the cats are glad to see you too.
Sounds like a good plan to me! Princess Fiona is probably close to the middle. Possibly a little closer to you, but you have the Rockies to contend with and I just have these puny little Appalachians. :LOL: If she doesn't already have a pool, I'm sure she can have one installed by the time we both walk there. :LOL:

I can always use tips on diet. :cool:

The cats are playing it pretty close to the vest and are acting like I never went anywhere. Cubbie acted like a total fool when I came home (just like he does every time I come home, even if I am only gone 5 minutes). :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

(P.S. I had to cut some of the emoticons out of your quote because it said I had too many!!! LOL <---couldn't use one here either! heeheehee!)

So glad to hear everything turned out all right. I have found that over the years giving up foods that will put on the pounds becomes a habit. That pasta that you haven't had for months? After those first couple of delicious bites, it doesn't taste so good after all. You find yourself mentally monitoring everything you eat.

Use a smaller plate and you won't feel deprived. I use a salad plate. One small piece of meat and a plop of mashed potatoes fills the plate. I also found that eating a salad 20 minutes before you eat the main entry forces you to cut down on the rest of your meal. It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to know that it has food in it and to start processing it. And the salad with just a small amount of dressing is so low in calories.

I am so glad to hear that James stayed at your side. He is a keeper. Take care of yourself. Our problem is we all like food too much and enjoy cooking. And I bet James could use a little loss of weight also. Make it a family affair. :)

Oh, Barbara, I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, but I'm glad you sound fairly healthy. Please do take care of yourself.

Back
Top Bottom