My New Calling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimizkitchen

Head Chef
Ok this is a good vent (is there such a thing?) that I wanted to share with my friends here at DC... I was in the restaurant business for quite some time doing my share of everything... About 18 months ago I gave it all up, very burnt out, and becoming increasingly unhappy... Don't get me wrong, cooking to me is not work, but a happy joyful experience that I feel I can share with those I love... I just needed to find myself, and baking came into my life... Now i've never really baked mainly because I didn't like sweets (well that changed over the last year) I now adore sweets, especially chocolate, but anything will do (well not everything my sweet ladies, get your minds outta the gutta, I know who you are! :LOL:)

So when I went to Georgia two weeks ago to visit bro n SIL we all sat down and had a fabulous conversation... They both told me I had a gift (they meant for cooking) and that I should run with it... We discussed my new found love of baking, and they said that once again I should do what I feel I am finally called to do...

This got me thinking that maybe it's always been there, but pushed aside for the cooking... I decided, when I got home, that I was going to look for a mentor (no pay just knowledge) so I e-mailed a few bakeries so they could read my purposal and jell it over... Well low and behold I got an e-mail today from one of the most prestigious cake shops in my town asking me to come in on tuesday because they would love to meet with me... I am thrilled!!!

So I decided to make a cake to bring into this meeting, this way they could see how far along I am in the baking department (not very far indeed but very adventurious) I am makin a cake from Rose Beranbaums new book, the cake is called Southern (Manhatten) Coconut Cake with Silk Meringue Buttercream. I've just finished the creme anglaise part of it since the buttercream is in three parts and I thought I knock this out tonight, and finish tomorrow... I chose this recipe (to be honest) because putting coconut chips on a cake is very forgiving :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...

I know that there are many pro bakers out there, and I would love if I could hear your thoughts, wisdom, inspiration, and anything else you wanna give...

Say a prayer for me that it all works out... I will keep you posted... XOXO

P.S. K darling, still can't figure out the picture thing, do you think if I e-mailed you the pictures of my beautiful (hopefully:LOL:) cake you could post it for me???

Ok this is a good vent (is there such a thing?) that I wanted to share with my friends here at DC... I was in the restaurant business for quite some time doing my share of everything... About 18 months ago I gave it all up, very burnt out, and becoming increasingly unhappy... Don't get me wrong, cooking to me is not work, but a happy joyful experience that I feel I can share with those I love... I just needed to find myself, and baking came into my life... Now i've never really baked mainly because I didn't like sweets (well that changed over the last year) I now adore sweets, especially chocolate, but anything will do (well not everything my sweet ladies, get your minds outta the gutta, I know who you are! :LOL:)

So when I went to Georgia two weeks ago to visit bro n SIL we all sat down and had a fabulous conversation... They both told me I had a gift (they meant for cooking) and that I should run with it... We discussed my new found love of baking, and they said that once again I should do what I feel I am finally called to do...

This got me thinking that maybe it's always been there, but pushed aside for the cooking... I decided, when I got home, that I was going to look for a mentor (no pay just knowledge) so I e-mailed a few bakeries so they could read my purposal and jell it over... Well low and behold I got an e-mail today from one of the most prestigious cake shops in my town asking me to come in on tuesday because they would love to meet with me... I am thrilled!!!

So I decided to make a cake to bring into this meeting, this way they could see how far along I am in the baking department (not very far indeed but very adventurious) I am makin a cake from Rose Beranbaums new book, the cake is called Southern (Manhatten) Coconut Cake with Silk Meringue Buttercream. I've just finished the creme anglaise part of it since the buttercream is in three parts and I thought I knock this out tonight, and finish tomorrow... I chose this recipe (to be honest) because putting coconut chips on a cake is very forgiving :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...

I know that there are many pro bakers out there, and I would love if I could hear your thoughts, wisdom, inspiration, and anything else you wanna give...

P.S. K darling, still can't figure out the picture thing, do you think if I e-mailed you the pictures of my beautiful (hopefully:LOL:) cake you could post it for me???
Mimi,
Holy moly girl congraatulations.May I wish you the best of everything. I just know you will blow their socks off. Best wishes and keep us posted.
kades

how exciting for you. you will do just wonderfully.

Oh WOW, Mimi.........I'm just thrilled to read this news. Hey girl, you're on your way!!

As far a the pictures are concerned, I'd be glad to try but I guarantee that there's folks here that know a ton more about posting original pictures than I do. Mimi....make a new post here on DC, so it will get full attention, and I bet we'll both learn something. :heart:

PS.......check this out Mimi.....I just found it. See #8

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f29/forums-101-posting-accounts-basics-62916.html

Hope this works...

Attachments

• DC PIX 046.jpg
    DC PIX 046.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 164
  • DC PIX 048.jpg
    DC PIX 048.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 155
  • DC PIX 050.jpg
    DC PIX 050.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 158
oh wow, mimi.........i'm just thrilled to read this news. Hey girl, you're on your way!!

As far a the pictures are concerned, i'd be glad to try but i guarantee that there's folks here that know a ton more about posting original pictures than i do. Mimi....make a new post here on dc, so it will get full attention, and i bet we'll both learn something. :heart:

Ps.......check this out mimi.....i just found it. See #8

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f29/forums-101-posting-accounts-basics-62916.html

i love you!!!!!

Chocolate Banana Stud Cake, and
The Black Stallion...

Attachments

• DC PIX 038.jpg
    DC PIX 038.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 169
  • DC PIX 039.jpg
    DC PIX 039.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 168
  • DC PIX 047.jpg
    DC PIX 047.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 158
Wow those look fabulous!

Welcome to baking. Baking for me feeds my need to micro manage and control little things, so I don't drive my friends and family crazy, LOL! Oh and it is in my blood, I just love baking.

While not a professional pastry chef, there isn't much that I haven't done pastrywise. My friends and family nudge me to take it further, I already have people in the neighborhood pay me to bake for them, as well as co-workers and friends. My only issue is getting a job with health benefits, since small bakery businesses don't/can't offer it.

I have a similar Black Stallion in my kitchen, I call her Birtha, she has given me 15 years of good service so far.

I have a similar Black Stallion in my kitchen, I call her Birtha, she has given me 15 years of good service so far.

Anybody who can give you that many years is a keeper... :LOL::LOL: I have a smaller kitchen aid (the green genie) that I have had for over 20 years, now BS&GG share bowls n beaters... I think they're in love... My goal is to open a small bakery/coffee/tea house with my daughter when she moves back next year... I'd love to hear any tips you might have, my one tip I just learned is to weigh everything, aside from being accurate, it's 100 times easier...

Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to hearing your baking stories... XOXO Mimi

Anybody who can give you that many years is a keeper... :LOL::LOL: I have a smaller kitchen aid (the green genie) that I have had for over 20 years, now BS&GG share bowls n beaters... I think they're in love... My goal is to open a small bakery/coffee/tea house with my daughter when she moves back next year... I'd love to hear any tips you might have, my one tip I just learned is to weigh everything, aside from being accurate, it's 100 times easier...

Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to hearing your baking stories... XOXO Mimi

My sis wants to open a shop just like that, when she retires from the military in about 4 years at the rip old age of 45, LOL! She currently lives in Savannah, I think it would do well there. She wants me to sell my house, pack up and move to be her baker!

I am with you on the weighing thing, once I bought a scale, there was no going back. I am in the process of converting old family recipes to weight, and tweaking them ever so slightly. I am always on the quest for the perfect recipe for any given thing.

Do you have Shirley O'Corrihers BakeWise? I do and it is excellent, really speaks to my inner baking nerd, a really good read. I love how it gets into the chemistry of each ingredient and how it works. I have the carrot cake from that book in the kitchen, just waiting for guests to arrive this afternoon.

No I don't have that book but i'll be sure to go to B&N this week and peruse it will a Starbucks in hand... I just bought Rose Beranbaums new book, Heavenly Cakes, the two cakes on this thread are from her book... If you don't have it, it worth a look... ;):)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom