"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My New Computer is Finally Set Up!

My last computer died a slow and painful death (the hard drive went bad), so we went and bought a new computer, monitor, and printer for me a few days ago. James will take my old monitor, which is bigger than his 2nd one (he uses two monitors for CAD). My old printer was a pretty cheap model which never did work like it should, but someone will be able to get some use out of it. Okay, here is what I got:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE computer. It is a 6-core AMD Athlon and came with Windows 7.

Samsung 27-inch LED monitor.

And finally, a printer that apparently does everything but the cooking, an HP Photosmart eStation.

We actually got a pretty good deal on everything, and they threw in some free stuff, such as large cartridges of ink for both of our printers. The final financial blessing was when they rang it all up and found out something they didn't even know--the computer was marked down $300.

I am so excited! : w00t2:

Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

So cool! Loads of new grown-up toys.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Oooh, spangly new stuffs. Congrats!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

More shiny stuff! Great buy Barbara!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love the smell of HP in the morning! Congrats, Barb!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks! I read a thing once that was cute and I guess applies here. It said, "I have ADOS: Attention deficit... Ooh Shiny!"
Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thanks! I read a thing once that was cute and I guess applies here. It said, "I have ADOS: Attention deficit... Ooh Shiny!"
Tony's computer died a horrid death about a year ago (and it literately went out screeching!) and he has been using my old lap top which doesn't adapt well to our wireless hub. He has been trying everything to fix the problem with no answers.

Well my sister and I gave him the answer on Friday. We gave him Dad's computer! Tony put the system together for Dad through one of his suppliers and it has the best of everything including a 27" LG monitor. Dad always talked about how his SIL was amazing with anything electronic and would tease Tony about spending all his (Dad's) money!

My dear sweet DH is totally beside himself. He has the speed, power, memory, storage space and everything else to do all the things he wants. He his even applying for an internal position at his company looking after all the mobile computers in the accessibility buses. When we sold the business I never thought I would see the day this passion would come back but it has thanks to this gift.

Enjoy your new toy Barbara, you really deserve it! I am glad you got a good deal!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Have fun.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Tony's computer died a horrid death about a year ago (and it literately went out screeching!) and he has been using my old lap top which doesn't adapt well to our wireless hub. He has been trying everything to fix the problem with no answers.

Well my sister and I gave him the answer on Friday. We gave him Dad's computer! Tony put the system together for Dad through one of his suppliers and it has the best of everything including a 27" LG monitor. Dad always talked about how his SIL was amazing with anything electronic and would tease Tony about spending all his (Dad's) money!

My dear sweet DH is totally beside himself. He has the speed, power, memory, storage space and everything else to do all the things he wants. He his even applying for an internal position at his company looking after all the mobile computers in the accessibility buses. When we sold the business I never thought I would see the day this passion would come back but it has thanks to this gift.

Enjoy your new toy Barbara, you really deserve it! I am glad you got a good deal!
That's great that Tony got your dad's computer! Sometimes a computer is more than just a computer.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Fantastic, LP! I'm praying Tony gets the position!