"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
My New Life

I used to be able to visit DC every night. I haven't been around much lately because I've embarked on a new adventure in life, along with my husband Seth. I'm NOT writing this for accolades - I just want to update everyone on why I've been so scarce lately. I believe we are doing a good thing but we are not saints, by any means.

A woman I used to work with at the bank moved to N.C. in Oct. She has a 20 year old daughter (Shannon). Shannon has a 2 1/2 yr old son that her mom is raising for right now. Last year Shannon got into some trouble, along with her husband, Mike. They will be spending some time in jail. Their baby was due at the beginning of March. She asked her mom if she would take the baby while Shannon served her time. Her mom said no. Her mom & I kept in touch via email after she moved to N.C. Back in November she asked if Seth & I might be interested in taking guardianship of the baby, if there was a prison sentence.

Seth & I met with this young couple in Dec. We were quite impressed with them. Neither of them are dummies. It was obvious that they were just tired - tired of their lifestyle, tired of not knowing where they were going to lay their head at night, tired of not knowing when they were going to have a decent meal... They were staying with some friends in a very crowded house. The trouble that they got into occurred because they were homeless. That doesn't make it right, but I can sorta understand it. It wasn't any sort of violent crime. Neither of the their families wanted anything to do with them.

We stayed in touch with them after our first meeting; driving 20 miles each way to pick them up & get Shannon to her OB Dr. appts., etc. They had been walking everywhere they needed to go - many, many miles at a time. We got them an air mattress so they wouldn't have to sleep on the floor anymore, got them winter jackets because they had none & it was getting cold here in CT, got them groceries so they wouldn't starve. We did what we could to try to help out.

Seth went on a business trip at the beginning of Jan. When he returned we brought them here to live. It's gone very well. Their gorgeous daughter was born on the 2nd of this month. Her name is Lauren. I will get some photos up in our photo section soon.

Their sentencing date was on Tuesday. Shannon got 20 months & Michael got 22 months in prison. Hopefully that will be cut in half - because I KNOW they will behave themselves while they serve their time. We filed the Temporary Guardianship papers on Monday. It should be approved by tomorrow.

Monday was the 3rd anniversary of my beloved son's death. It is because of him that these kids are here with us. If he had lived, my life would have been completely different than what it is now & we wouldn't have been involved with them. People always say that there is a reason for everything. I hate to think that I had to lose the love of my life in order to help some desperate kids but if that was the plan, so be it.

I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
DC Grandma
I think you are doing a wonderful thing..That precious baby needs love and a caring family. Best of luck to all of you

May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Wow! Good for you! Love is good!!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
It's a very kind hearted thing you're doing Corrine. Hope they get out of trouble and everything works out for you guys.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
You're doing such a great deed for those people. I believe you can't replace a loved one but you sure can heal your pain through goodness and kindness. Prayers for you all.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef
I've been wondering about you Corinne! What an incredible gesture of kindness! The world needs more, many more, people like you and your husband!

Two kids in the house! You are busy! Check in with us when you can. I'd love to hear all about them!
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I know life takes turns and we don't know why these turns happen. I don't believe you lost your son SO you could offer your home and love to this family. I believe your son has sent you this family as a gift - a gift of love. I applaud you and your husband for stepping up. I always felt kindness just in your name and also in your posts. It's nice to know some things really ARE what they seem.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
I admire what you are doing. It's a generous thing to hold out your love to others. How any parent can turn their back on a child is beyond me.Thank heavens there are caring people out there like you to look after this young couple and their little child. The love you are giving them, will come back to you many times. Little Lauren, will fill in a small part of that place that we all have, that makes us feel life is special, she will settle in your arms and make you smile and you will give her love, warmth and safety...A sweet smiling baby to kiss goodnight and end a perfect day..Accolades Corinne, you deserve mush, much more.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #9
Executive Chef
First post I read since waking this morning and it gave me chills. I so admire you for being the family that couple needs. We all need help along our way in life and I'm glad to see there are still people in this painful world to help others. Good luck to you and hope you post some pictures!
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:10 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by redkitty
First post I read since waking this morning and it gave me chills. I so admire you for being the family that couple needs. We all need help along our way in life and I'm glad to see there are still people in this painful world to help others. Good luck to you and hope you post some pictures!
I could not have said it any better

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote