My New Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corinne

Sous Chef
Mystic, CT - transplanted from Lancaster, PA
I used to be able to visit DC every night. I haven't been around much lately because I've embarked on a new adventure in life, along with my husband Seth. I'm NOT writing this for accolades - I just want to update everyone on why I've been so scarce lately. I believe we are doing a good thing but we are not saints, by any means.

A woman I used to work with at the bank moved to N.C. in Oct. She has a 20 year old daughter (Shannon). Shannon has a 2 1/2 yr old son that her mom is raising for right now. Last year Shannon got into some trouble, along with her husband, Mike. They will be spending some time in jail. Their baby was due at the beginning of March. She asked her mom if she would take the baby while Shannon served her time. Her mom said no. Her mom & I kept in touch via email after she moved to N.C. Back in November she asked if Seth & I might be interested in taking guardianship of the baby, if there was a prison sentence.

Seth & I met with this young couple in Dec. We were quite impressed with them. Neither of them are dummies. It was obvious that they were just tired - tired of their lifestyle, tired of not knowing where they were going to lay their head at night, tired of not knowing when they were going to have a decent meal... They were staying with some friends in a very crowded house. The trouble that they got into occurred because they were homeless. That doesn't make it right, but I can sorta understand it. It wasn't any sort of violent crime. Neither of the their families wanted anything to do with them. :(

We stayed in touch with them after our first meeting; driving 20 miles each way to pick them up & get Shannon to her OB Dr. appts., etc. They had been walking everywhere they needed to go - many, many miles at a time. We got them an air mattress so they wouldn't have to sleep on the floor anymore, got them winter jackets because they had none & it was getting cold here in CT, got them groceries so they wouldn't starve. We did what we could to try to help out.

Seth went on a business trip at the beginning of Jan. When he returned we brought them here to live. It's gone very well. Their gorgeous daughter was born on the 2nd of this month. Her name is Lauren. I will get some photos up in our photo section soon.

Their sentencing date was on Tuesday. Shannon got 20 months & Michael got 22 months in prison. Hopefully that will be cut in half - because I KNOW they will behave themselves while they serve their time. We filed the Temporary Guardianship papers on Monday. It should be approved by tomorrow.

Monday was the 3rd anniversary of my beloved son's death. It is because of him that these kids are here with us. If he had lived, my life would have been completely different than what it is now & we wouldn't have been involved with them. People always say that there is a reason for everything. I hate to think that I had to lose the love of my life in order to help some desperate kids but if that was the plan, so be it.

Corinne

I think you are doing a wonderful thing..That precious baby needs love and a caring family. Best of luck to all of you
Marge

It's a very kind hearted thing you're doing Corrine. Hope they get out of trouble and everything works out for you guys.

Corrine,
You're doing such a great deed for those people. I believe you can't replace a loved one but you sure can heal your pain through goodness and kindness. Prayers for you all.

I've been wondering about you Corinne! What an incredible gesture of kindness! The world needs more, many more, people like you and your husband!

Two kids in the house! You are busy! Check in with us when you can. I'd love to hear all about them!

I know life takes turns and we don't know why these turns happen. I don't believe you lost your son SO you could offer your home and love to this family. I believe your son has sent you this family as a gift - a gift of love. I applaud you and your husband for stepping up. I always felt kindness just in your name and also in your posts. It's nice to know some things really ARE what they seem.

Corinne,
I admire what you are doing. It's a generous thing to hold out your love to others. How any parent can turn their back on a child is beyond me.Thank heavens there are caring people out there like you to look after this young couple and their little child. The love you are giving them, will come back to you many times. Little Lauren, will fill in a small part of that place that we all have, that makes us feel life is special, she will settle in your arms and make you smile and you will give her love, warmth and safety...A sweet smiling baby to kiss goodnight and end a perfect day..Accolades Corinne, you deserve mush, much more.

kadesma:)

First post I read since waking this morning and it gave me chills. I so admire you for being the family that couple needs. We all need help along our way in life and I'm glad to see there are still people in this painful world to help others. Good luck to you and hope you post some pictures!

redkitty said:
First post I read since waking this morning and it gave me chills. I so admire you for being the family that couple needs. We all need help along our way in life and I'm glad to see there are still people in this painful world to help others. Good luck to you and hope you post some pictures!

I could not have said it any better:cry:

((Corrine)) Your "new life" reminds me that though we have lost our sons-we still can open our hearts to those who we have just met and may need us. Your generosity to this young family is remarkable.I admire your strength and endless love.With that I'm sending you more love and energy,Vicki

I'm beyond admiring you for what you are doing for this young couple. You are all in my prayers and I'm sending hugs your way. Best of luck in this new chapter in your life.

I believe in fate, and you and Seth were meant to be in and with this family in a time of need. Lauren is so blessed to have you both in her life. Prayers to all - Please keep us posted on her progress. Barb L.

Lauren is extremely beautiful, and I am so happy for her that she has you and Seth to give the love she deserves, and I am sure she will return just the same to you guys. And I know you have made your son up above very happy and proud!!:)

My best wishes to all of you!

Corinne, you and your husband are such good souls. You will be doing so much good for Lauren and I'm sure her parents can rest a little easier at night knowing that you're caring for her.

Best of luck and stay in touch with us when you can!

It so warms my heart to read your news and to know that goodness flourishes.All of that family will be helped and healed by the love you have so generously given. You both will receive much too. May you be given the health and stength to carry on in this wonderful way.:)

Honestly, that is the most compassionate and admirable thing I have heard of someone doing, in a LONG time.

May the Higher Power Bless you. You are earning your wings somewhere.

God bless you both! Your son must be so proud to have parents like you. :) What a great thing you are doing for that family. I am so glad to know that there are some people out there in the world who care about someone other than themselves. As redkitty said, we all need help sometimes in life...that family is SO, SO, SO lucky to have you and Seth. I wish you the best of luck with your new "chapter in life" and just know that we are all here for you, any time of the night, for anything. Take care.:D

You both are doing a wonderful thing by raising their baby and I am a firm beliver that what goes around comes around. Something very nice is on its way to you both.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom