"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #31
Head Chef

I love the English language. When used correctly it is akin to art, poetry and music. While my use of punctuation may not be exemplary, I do try - and I truly enjoy reading things that are gramatically correct and easy to follow. I know a very bright man who, whenever he writes something, likes to demonstrate his expansive vocabulary. But he doesn't consider his audience and he doesn't organize his thoughts in a logical sequence, which turns his attempts at brilliance into plodding intellectual exercises. Often, simpler or clearer words could be chosen. And often, he uses the wrong word thinking (apparently) that it is right! Now THAT is a pet peeve of mine... people who SOUND brilliant but, when you think about what they're saying, it's just nonsense.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

lol lefse, i saw a great comic yesterday that showed 2 cowboys sitting around a fire, one is doing the eyes, and the other retorts "NO!! i haven't seen the movie!"

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
I love the English language. When used correctly it is akin to art, poetry and music. While my use of punctuation may not be exemplary, I do try - and I truly enjoy reading things that are gramatically correct and easy to follow. I know a very bright man who, whenever he writes something, likes to demonstrate his expansive vocabulary. But he doesn't consider his audience and he doesn't organize his thoughts in a logical sequence, which turns his attempts at brilliance into plodding intellectual exercises. Often, simpler or clearer words could be chosen. And often, he uses the wrong word thinking (apparently) that it is right! Now THAT is a pet peeve of mine... people who SOUND brilliant but, when you think about what they're saying, it's just nonsense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
You just reminded me of my waaaay too many word usage. My favorite customer was a man who was 60+++. He was the only Pyschiatrist in our town which had many shrinks, therapists, etc. Anyway, I was cutting his hair one day and we were gabbing as usual. He stopped for a moment, looked at me and said, "You speak like no one else (the way you form your sentences and put your words together), very interesting." I think it was his sweet way of a cut.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

[quote=The Z]I love the English language. When used correctly it is akin to art, poetry and music. quote]

lol, akin? not to pick but poetry would suck without words.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #35
Head Chef

pick pick pick

I was comparing the written word to other forms. I guess I could have been clearer in my use of the language - LOL. In this case I was thinking about oratory poetry.

Well picked.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #36
Senior Cook

When I visit my wifes family I usually shop at the local United food store. My wifes parents live in Lubbock, I live in the Dallas area. The staff at United will not let you take your groceries to your vehicle. I have tried to just take the shoping cart out the door to the parking lot but one of the employees will follow me and take the cart back. I guess I am complaing about good service but that never happens when I am home.

Later
Old 03-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

[quote=buckytom]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
...not to pick but poetry would suck without words.
Yeah, BT, but it wouldn't be as boring!

Phinz and Jkath:

I also have a serious AR attitude about the over use of apostrophes. It's mind boggling where they pop up and don't belong! Phinz, you are right. You cannot convince people you are correct.

But that's just the tip of the grammar police iceberg...

...better I don't get going on this subject!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

what about mixing mataphors andy? grammar police/iceberg tips?

(i'd better go hide today)

if it helps, i tried to give you and z karma, but it tells me to go away...

i often get my grammar and punctuation wrong by mistake or ignorance, but sometimes i knowingly use apostrophes (i always read that word like w.c fields) to help convey my message better. sometimes it just makes more sense or looks better, incorrect as it is. remember, being right and being righteous are 2 different things. the whole idea is to convey the message to the listener/reader.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Do any of you write poetry?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

there once was a woman named pdswife,
that loved her paul with every inch of her life,
a great couple the made,
and without any aide,
sliced their wedding cake up with a knife!
(sorry, couldn't think of another "ife" word)