"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My hat's off to you Chef Dave. You have more patience that I.
Thank you for your kind words.

Actually, I've found that I have the best of both worlds. I'm still working in the food service industry but I don't have to work nights, weekends, or holidays. I also don't have to worry about making a profit. I don't even need to defray food costs although doing so is in the best interest of my department since this generates money for new tools, equipment, and better quality ingredients.

I'm not well paid as a teacher and make considerably less than I would as an executive chef. In Arizona, we don't even have job security and due to state budget shortfalls, I've been laid off twice during the past three years.

On the brighter side, I have a great vacation schedule as a teacher. The county fair starts this Friday and the district has given us a four day weekend! I get 4 days for Thanksgiving, two weeks for Christmas, a week for Spring Break ...

In the industry I got one week off per year and the last time I was in a restaurant, I got called in due to a staff shortage. The general manager said he'd give me $150 extra in my paycheck. I gave him my resignation and got a job as a Culinary Arts instructor.

I've found that I enjoy teaching and have been able to coach students to successfully compete in the annual C-CAP (Careers through Culinary Academic Programs) state competition.

For the most part, I have a good group of kids. Yesterday was just weird ... although the kid who got into trouble has had previous problems. He actually just finished a 3 day in school suspension for being disruptive in class.

Ah well ... I suppose into each life a little rain must fall ... I just don't want to be caught in a huge torrential rainfall ... (GRIN)

Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Dave View Post
Ah well ... I suppose into each life a little rain must fall ... I just don't want to be caught in a huge torrential rainfall ... (GRIN)
Or a tornado! Are you close to Flagstaff? Tornadoes in AZ...what next?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
Cook

Well ... yesterday was dreadful but today ...

The kid who touched his privates and then began touching girls is now attending a special ed school full time.

The A/C in the kitchen is up and running and I have all of my prep tables back.

All food items for our two catering events are ready for pick up.

I also have a 4 day weekend coming up since our school is closed for the county fair. Yee-haw!

What a difference a day makes.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Dave View Post
Well ... yesterday was dreadful but today ...

The kid who touched his privates and then began touching girls is now attending a special ed school full time.

The A/C in the kitchen is up and running and I have all of my prep tables back.

All food items for our two catering events are ready for pick up.

I also have a 4 day weekend coming up since our school is closed for the county fair. Yee-haw!

What a difference a day makes.

Yay!!! Enjoy your long weekend!

Barbara