"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

Well, he is now VERY excited about it, lol. The recruiter was here an hour and half talking with him and then with me. He did the practice test and scored a 23, which is better than the younger one did. That is enough for him to grin from ear to ear, lol
I told him that I know he can do this and that, he will be a better man for it than if he stays here on the road he is going and he knows it. The recruiter got in his face about some things, mainly the drugs. He told him that this is not a game, this is his life and if he's not serious about, don't waste his time. Told ds, be ready for a at home drug test next time he comes out. Didn't say when either, lol. I love it!! He can do it, I know. He stopped his bs when he went to N Carolina, he can for this too!! I threatened his friend over the phone too and told him that if something happens, I'm coming for them too!! They know me well enough that he was saying ,ok, ok, no ma'am yes ma'am, hehe.
OH LORD PLEASE GUIDE HIM!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
Senior Cook

What a wonderful change I have seen in my nephew since he joined the service. He went from being a 'sleepy, unsure of his future prospects' kid.... to an....'admired, full of self esteem' man.
My best wishes for your son.
chefmaloney

Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Well, he is now VERY excited about it, lol. The recruiter was here an hour and half talking with him and then with me. He did the practice test and scored a 23, which is better than the younger one did. That is enough for him to grin from ear to ear, lol
I told him that I know he can do this and that, he will be a better man for it than if he stays here on the road he is going and he knows it. The recruiter got in his face about some things, mainly the drugs. He told him that this is not a game, this is his life and if he's not serious about, don't waste his time. Told ds, be ready for a at home drug test next time he comes out. Didn't say when either, lol. I love it!! He can do it, I know. He stopped his bs when he went to N Carolina, he can for this too!! I threatened his friend over the phone too and told him that if something happens, I'm coming for them too!! They know me well enough that he was saying ,ok, ok, no ma'am yes ma'am, hehe.
OH LORD PLEASE GUIDE HIM!!!
Stacy it will be alright..Just stay on his back and pray a lot..You both are going to make it
kadesma
Old 11-07-2008, 03:13 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I will keep your son in my prayers, of course. I agree that this could be exactly what he needs.

Barbara
Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #15
Head Chef

I was in the Air Force from 69-73 (yes, I'm an old guy), and can honestly say that military life will give him good direction and will bring his self-esteem back. Every day offers opportunities to learn and to accomplish new things, and he will be surrounded with the proper role models to help him become a leader, and not just a follower. My prayers are for both of you.

JoeV
Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I agree with all the positives here, Stac. You have to trust that he used his parents as roll models when it was most important, when he was young, and it was most critical. Now it's his job as a young man to use those lessons. You can be a reminder, but those lessons are already set. It's his job now.
This would be the best thing for him.
Hugs and support for you all.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
Master Chef

thank you all. I know this will be his turning point. I really do hope for this to go through and that he is able to get a career doing what he's wanting. He's looking at engineering, so, he needs to score pretty good on the ASVAB. He has plenty of stuff to study from.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Prayers and best wishes TG. I went through a similar situation with my oldest several years ago, so I can empathize with you and what your going through.

Sounds as if he's starting to see things with more clarity now, and thats a good start. Joining the military in these uncertain times takes a lot of guts and shows a lot of resolve on his part.

May (insert higher power of your choice here) bless all of you & best wishes.

I'd like to take this opportunity, in advance, to thank him for his willingness to go out and protect my freedom and way of life.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Master Chef

I am going to show him this thread and show him what a great thing he is doing!! Thank you all!!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
My best wishes to your fine lad, Stacy. The oldest son of my partner, now 20, also had a very difficult period which lasted for 4-5 years. He was heavily depressed and apathetic to everything, he flunked his grade for 3 years in a row and things seemed pretty dire until last year.

Then something clicked. He started to open up, talk, smile and laugh more, which he hardly ever did for a long time. He was always an excellent artist and he decided to go to uni to study more art. He made up for 3 years he lost this summer, and is just starting his first days at uni. He is finally a bright, cheerful and smart young lad that was hidden deep for years. It has been such a lovely turn around to watch.

and always remember.... Yes, we can.