"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Master Chef

My oldest

Ok, I know I ask you guys for your prayers a lot, but, that is because you are my friends and my oldest, yes, the troubled one, needs some prayers.
He has finally decided to try to get into the Navy. He finally told me the other day that he is scared that he is going to end up, either in prison or dead. This one has never had any self esteem, ever. I have to say, his dad didn't help in that area at all, but, anyway. He is a follower, hence all the trouble he has been in. I feel, with all my heart, that if he can get in, he will have all the self esteem he could handle and become a leader and know that he can do anything he sets out to do, instead of saying, I can't do that. I have been scared in the past, I know, but, this time, I KNOW, this is probably going to be the only way he can straighten his life out. Just please keep him in your thoughts. I will keep you up to date on how he's doing. Recruiter is here now and will be giving him his practice test. I also paid for some practice tests that were for the youngest, but, he never got a chance to do the ASVAB after studying, so, I'm praying that the guides will help my oldest.
Here is my son. He is a good kid, just going in the wrong direction and is trying to turn around.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Master Chef

If this is something he wants to do then that is half the journey to success! The fact that he likes to follow will be good thing in the Navy. My youngest considered the Marines but ultimately decided against it. He didn't think he could handle following orders and I agreed with him. He likes to be unique and do his own thing so military life would be bad for him. I will pray that he finds his path to success!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Head Chef

Good for him!!! I hope it isn't a decision made on the whim though. Military life is hard, but also really fun. You are like a great big family that parties hard (most of the younger ones anyways) and kicks the bleeeep bleep bleep out of anyone who tries to hurt their country lol
Old 11-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, Stacy. DH was in the Navy for four years, so I have some experience with that It could be the perfect thing for him - the military will teach him discipline, teamwork, and marketable skills, as well as leadership, if he wants, which he may after a few years in.

If he finished high school, it's not all that difficult to get into the military these days. I'm hoping for the best for him
Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Wishing him all the best.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

No, this is not something he just decided on. Actually, some of you will remember he was looking at this right after school. His friends talked him out of it. It has always been in the back of his mind though. He knows he needs structure and the military is exactly what he wants to do. I am very proud of him for making this decision on his own. Thanks you guys.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Stacy,
I think this is just what he needs..I had one a lot like him and when we hit our wits end, DH said either or to him..He joined the Air Force and the kid who was not so fond of his mom, got a woman as his boss..Let me tell you at 6 weeks we went to San Antonio for his graduation and at his request..I could not believe the change in my wayward boy..He was now a grown man and so proud of how he had done..He was gone from us for 3 years in Guam and now he is a well employed sweet kind human being that we are proud of and love dearly..Let him go Stacy, chin up smile and let the tears come AFTER he has gone..Then ya pray and worry, but the return is wonderful
kadesma
Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Head Chef

That is a great story Kad, thank you for sharing.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks for sharing, Stacy (GG and Kades as well). My Dad says the forces was the best thing he ever did in his life. It will be hard on both you and him, but it is sure to be a win win situation. I will keep you both in my prayers.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

stacy, will think of you and your son, only good thoughts. he will surely do very well. all you can do is encourage him to do his best. they grow up a lot in the service.