"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I looked at the Le Creuset website, and I did like the colors! I think I shall mix them also if I get them. Le Creuset is cast iron! I did not know of this! I shall speak of this to DA. The set I am seeing is over $1,000.00. That may be too expensive for DA. I was not told of how much I can spend. She only told me to get what I wished and she would pay for this.

I want nice things which will last for a long time, but I do not want to take the advantage of DA.

With love,
~Cat
Cat, there are less expensive vendors for LeCreuset so do some sleuthing and get more for your money. As I said earlier, there are outlets for such things, even LeCreuset.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
You have a very daunting, and fun, task ahead of you. I've had Corelle since before my children were born, which was in the early '70s. I still have many of the dishes. My current Corelle is something called Summer Blush, but it has been discontinued. It has pretty pastel pansies as the border on the plates.

Our "good" china consists of three different patterns, of which I've collected for nearly 30 years.

One set is something called Blue Willow and is the oldest continuously produced china pattern in the world. You can read here about the history and romantic legend of it. It's a lovely pattern and I've managed to collect a service for 18 over the years and have pieces from many different countries. Some of my pieces are 100-years-old and I have no hesitation to use them. I accompany it with glassware in cobalt blue.

Another set is a pattern made by an American maker named Homer Laughlin and is called Virginia Rose. The variation of the pattern I collect is called Fluffy Rose. It's a lovely floral design and each piece is edged in platinum. Unfortunately the pattern was discontinued in 1934 but I've managed to accumulate enough pieces to complete a service for 12. Here's a nice photo of the design. I use clear, pale green and pale pink glassware to compliment it.

I've attached a photo of one of my Thanksgiving tables set with the Virginia Rose dishes.

A third, and final, set I have is something called LuRay Pastels and was made by another American manufacturer, Taylor, Smith & Taylor. I have equal pieces of the four colors, enough to serve 12, which means 3 of each of the four colors for all pieces. I've seen but never owned any of the grey pieces. It's wonderfully pleasant and cheerful. Look at this for some neat photos and more explanation.

Since you like pottery-like wares and also enjoy vivid colors, you might investigate Fiestaware. It was first sold to the public in 1936 and is still made today, although some of the colors have been discontinued and others have been created. Here's more more about Fiestaware.

If you are near a large china/pottery/dinnerware/cookware outlet, you will probably find Fiestaware there. You've also mentioned Mikasa and Noritake. Many reputable outlets sell those brands, too.

LeCreuset, with all its many colors, would look great with Fiestaware.

I'm a china and glassware nut and spent many years of my business life selling and appraising antique china, glassware and silver. Unfortunately, I wanted every piece I came into contact with.

One thing I've never accumulated any holiday china. Not sure why, especially since I truly love the holidays. Hmmmm! Maybe....No, no, no. I have to be good.

I'd love to go shopping with you and enjoy your adventure.
Oh I wish you could, Katie! Your table is beautiful! I love the pretty plates and the flatware. How beautiful this is!

I shall look to these links you have given me. Thank you so very much! You have given me very much help.

When I looked at your photo, I felt as if I was invited to sit down at your table and have a wonderful meal! This is what I want others to feel.

With love,
~Cat

Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh my, Cat! When I was your age, and in college, I had a few battered aluminum pots and pans, a cheap nonstick frying pan, and a few mismatched plates, bowls, and cups! Oh, and some cheap Libby glassware. I bought my first dish set for 8 after I got married, we didn't have a formal wedding and no gift registry. I have one nice set of Noritake, and no formal or china set.

Some of this stuff, it might be better to wait until when you get married. No need to rush!

I love my Cuisinart SS, along with my cast iron hand-me-downs.

Gorgeous tablescape, Katie!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Cat, I guess the pictures below demonstrate why I don't have holiday dishes. i like to create an "environment" for my holiday tables and this one for our family in 2011 was all rich blue, white, crystal and silver.

I forgot to add earlier that I also have a service for 12 of china(?) that's all clear glass, which makes it easy to design 'scapes of my liking.

In the photos, I made the napkins, decorated the cobalt glass napkin rings, filled the hurricanes with crystals for the silver candles, and made the centerpiece.

Each plate had a silver charger under it and the wine glasses sat on flat silver snowflake coasters, which were really ornaments that I clipped the hanging loop off.

The napkins were made out of fabric that had a rich blue background, white and silver snowflakes printed on. I sewed a rolled edge on them using silver metallic thread.

I wanted lots of wintery shimmer and sparkle. I used mirror tiles down the center of the table and sprinkled acrylic "diamonds" randomly on the tabletop.

The guests took as many of the diamonds as they wished as a favor of the event. The granddaughters loved it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas 2011 015.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	18812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas 2011 013.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	18813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas 2011 016.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	18814  
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

I looked at the Le Creuset website, and I did like the colors! I think I shall mix them also if I get them. Le Creuset is cast iron! I did not know of this! I shall speak of this to DA. The set I am seeing is over $1,000.00. That may be too expensive for DA. I was not told of how much I can spend. She only told me to get what I wished and she would pay for this.

I want nice things which will last for a long time, but I do not want to take the advantage of DA.

With love,
~Cat
Le Creuset cookware is enameled cast iron; their bakeware is ceramic.

You don't necessarily have to buy an entire set at once. Sets often come with pieces you seldom or never use, so it can be more cost-effective to buy a few pieces to start with. You can always add more later.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, your holiday table is gorgeous. Really lovely.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Katie, your holiday table is gorgeous. Really lovely.
+1!!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh my, Cat! When I was your age, and in college, I had a few battered aluminum pots and pans, a cheap nonstick frying pan, and a few mismatched plates, bowls, and cups! Oh, and some cheap Libby glassware. I bought my first dish set for 8 after I got married, we didn't have a formal wedding and no gift registry. I have one nice set of Noritake, and no formal or china set.

Some of this stuff, it might be better to wait until when you get married. No need to rush!

I love my Cuisinart SS, along with my cast iron hand-me-downs.

Gorgeous tablescape, Katie!
It is what I thought also. DA and Mamma say that to our traditions, the wife has the makings of the home and the husband buys the home.

But I will also have my own home! DA's home will be mine. But her kitchen and dining things will be going to others of family.

I know you have nice things, Dawgluver. Noritake dishes are very nice!

With love,
~Cat
Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Cat, I guess the pictures below demonstrate why I don't have holiday dishes. i like to create an "environment" for my holiday tables and this one for our family in 2011 was all rich blue, white, crystal and silver.

I forgot to add earlier that I also have a service for 12 of china(?) that's all clear glass, which makes it easy to design 'scapes of my liking.

In the photos, I made the napkins, decorated the cobalt glass napkin rings, filled the hurricanes with crystals for the silver candles, and made the centerpiece.

Each plate had a silver charger under it and the wine glasses sat on flat silver snowflake coasters, which were really ornaments that I clipped the hanging loop off.

The napkins were made out of fabric that had a rich blue background, white and silver snowflakes printed on. I sewed a rolled edge on them using silver metallic thread.

I wanted lots of wintery shimmer and sparkle. I used mirror tiles down the center of the table and sprinkled acrylic "diamonds" randomly on the tabletop.

The guests took as many of the diamonds as they wished as a favor of the event. The granddaughters loved it!
Oh my! How beautiful, Katie! You are so very creative! These remind me of Mamma's tables. She is creative also. She does very much with just simple things.

I want to sit at your table!

With love,
~Cat
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Traditionally here, Cat, before you get married, you register at a bunch of high-end (expensive) stores, listing all the stuff you would like, then people who are invited to your wedding buy you that stuff and either send it to you before the wedding or drop it off at one of the inlaw's places. It's nice, you get to pick out all the things you want.

I'm wondering if your tastes will change if/when before you get married. It might be best to get the bare minimum right now, like a nice set of everyday dishes, and save the expensive stuff for later.