My Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I shall look of outlets and of estate sales. I do want Calphalon frying pans. DA has these and they are wonderful!

And I like cast iron and stainless steel. To be honest, I like the cast iron DA and Mamma have. It is just black.

With love,
~Cat

Traditionally here, Cat, before you get married, you register at a bunch of high-end (expensive) stores, listing all the stuff you would like, then people who are invited to your wedding buy you that stuff and either send it to you before the wedding or drop it off at one of the inlaw's places. It's nice, you get to pick out all the things you want.

I'm wondering if your tastes will change if/when before you get married. It might be best to get the bare minimum right now, like a nice set of everyday dishes, and save the expensive stuff for later.

Oh no! People invited to weddings have to buy things for you? I do not know of this!

In our family, the bride comes with everything for a house and the groom pays for the house, or of the rent of it. No one who is invited to the wedding has to buy gifts! The wedding is a celebration with food and much dancing.

That is very odd! It seems to not be right to ask for things such as this.

I am not sure I like this custom.

With love,
~Cat

Oh no! People invited to weddings have to buy things for you? I do not know of this!

In our family, the bride comes with everything for a house and the groom pays for the house, or of the rent of it. No one who is invited to the wedding has to buy gifts! The wedding is a celebration with food and much dancing.

With love,
~Cat

I'm thinking you may get a few marriage proposals, Cat! Most prospective husbands here don't like the registry part either, unless it's from Home Depot, and if you bring along all the household goods, they'd be thrilled.

Weddings here also have much food and dancing.

With love,
~Cat
Cat, the gifts are traditional. The registry isn't so much asking people for stuff, as letting them know which patterns and things you would like.

That way, when someone buys you one serving dish, it's part of the same pattern as other people are buying for you. You don't get some hideous pattern that they, not you, like. ;)

When I got married, we didn't bother with the registry, but I was 47 and Stirling was 33 and we already had homes and stuff. Our friends asked for a list, so I tried to make a conservative list. They got together and bought us a very nice, expensive espresso machine. We use it every day.

I'm thinking you may get a few marriage proposals, Cat! Most prospective husbands here don't like the registry part either, unless it's from Home Depot, and if you bring along all the household goods, they'd be thrilled.

Weddings here also have much food and dancing.

Oh I hope I do not get many of these! Being married is very far from me. If I go to be married, I will not do this registry.

The boys of my college seem to be of very shallow. Some are very arrogant. I have no interest of these.

With love,
~Cat

Cat, the gifts are traditional. The registry isn't so much asking people for stuff, as letting them know which patterns and things you would like.

That way, when someone buys you one serving dish, it's part of the same pattern as other people are buying for you. You don't get some hideous pattern that they, not you, like. ;)

When I got married, we didn't bother with the registry, but I was 47 and Stirling was 33 and we already had homes and stuff. Our friends asked for a list, so I tried to make a conservative list. They got together and bought us a very nice, expensive espresso machine. We use it every day.

Oh I see. Your friends went together for this. That is different.

I think I shall avoid the gifts of my wedding so I do not get something hideous. We shall just have food and dancing. All this other sounds of too much trouble!

With love,
~Cat

Oh I see. Your friends went together for this. That is different.

I think I shall avoid the gifts of my wedding so I do not get something hideous. We shall just have food and dancing. All this other sounds of too much trouble!

With love,
~Cat

It's a pretty ingrained tradition to give people presents to help celebrate their wedding. We don't have a tradition of princesses with dowries and all that :) And if you're working, it's likely your presumably American husband will expect you to contribute to the household expenses.

If you don't register, you are likely to receive gifts anyway. Years ago, before there were registries, people would get three toasters and two mixers and so on. Then the trouble becomes returning the extras! ;)

Last edited:
I will start with the casual and the holiday dishes. Mamma and Papa are coming for the holidays and I need my table to look as very festive for them. With Papa here, he can carry DA down the steps to my lair so we can eat together at my table.

My table seats of eight people. DA said a set for eight people is proper to start with. DA has a very large formal dining room. Maybe Mamma can help me find the good dishes later.

Le Creuset is very nice! DA has Calphalon frying pans. I want those. Those are very nice. I also want the cast iron because it is what Mamma has and DA has some and I use the cast iron very well. I do not know of All Clad. I shall look for this.

I like bright colors of things. Victorian is nice! And rustic plates like Mamma's stoneware plates are so nice. Mamma fixed my suite at home of French Provincial. I do not know what those plates might look like. My lair has all very old, very heavy, very carved furniture of it. It is what DA brought with her to here. The other two floors are very much the same, but they are American heavy furniture. My lair looks like a small Romanian house which I like very much!

I think maybe I like old things. I love my lair because it reminds me of Romania, but I have put American things in here to stand for my new country. Yes, as I type, I like old, colorful things. The furniture has maroon, blue, green, beige, and dark purple paisley patterns of the upholstery, except the ottoman. I think it was supposed to be beige but it is the color of cat barf. I shall get that recovered in blue, I am thinking.

I am thinking I like the white Corelle for the ordinary dishes. I shall find and do postings of photos of things I like and I shall show these before to buy them for the opinions.

Thank you so very much! You have given me very much to think of in this matter.

With love,
~Cat
I personally hate eating off of Corelle dishes--they seem to have a film on them. I have two sets of Wedgewood stoneware. And another set of dishes, so yes, I have 5 sets of dishes...seems a bit excessive for two people...two sets of stainless flatware and one set of sterling flatware.

The Le Creuset is cast-iron with enamel. It has a lifetime guarantee. And it will last not only your lifetime, but your children's lifetimes as well. Lodge cast iron is good--I have several pieces of that as well.

If you want something simple and durable and you are on the budget, I say go to COSTCO. You will find everything you need there for a very reasonable price. Find somebody with the membership who can take you once. As the matter of fact this where I am going next, after I finish braking the rest of the original dishes we've had since we got married. :)

With love,
~Cat

Interesting. Though some of that sounds familiar I have never heard of people not bringing presents. Russians a lot of time simply bring money as presents so new couple could buy whatever they want.

Cat, part of the reasoning behind giving newlyweds wedding gifts is to help them start their household. In earlier days, young couples began married life with very little and these generous gifts gave them a foundation to build on themselves.

Today, however, it is quite different. Many young people are waiting to marry later and both most likely have their own established jobs, which means they have income and have been able to purchase things for themselves. It isn't uncommon for couples to already have doubles of some household items because of this. As a result, some of what those who are about to be married put what appear to be unusual or ultra-luxury items on their registries.

I'm on the fence about registries. There are pros and cons to them.

When I give wedding gifts they are usually something that I make sure is very personal to the couple being married. In other words, if I know they are into cooking, I'll make a special recipe file of a collection of my recipes that include everything from super simple to elegant fare. I hand-write them, clearly, on pretty little cards and put them in a lovely book or decorative recipe box.

Perhaps they like to bake breads. Then, I will put together some of my favorite yeast recipes and include them with some bread pans, etc.

You get the idea.

Last edited:
Cat, part of the reasoning behind giving newlyweds wedding gifts is to help them start their household. In earlier days, young couples began married life with very little and these generous gifts gave them a foundation to build on themselves.

Today, however, it is quite different. Many young people are waiting to marry later and both most likely have their own established jobs, which means they have income and have been able to purchase things for themselves. It isn't uncommon for couples to already have doubles of some household items because of this. As a result, some of what those who are about to be married put what appear to be unusual or ultra-luxury items on their registries.

When I give wedding gifts they are usually something that I make sure is very personal to the couple being married. In other words, if I know they are into cooking, I'll make a special recipe file of a collection of my recipes that include everything from super simple to elegant fare. I hand-write them, clearly, on pretty little cards and put them in a lovely book or decorative recipe box.

Perhaps they like to bake breads. Then, I will put together some of my favorite yeast recipes and include them with some bread pans, etc.

You get the idea.

I do the same. One year I gave someone several jars of herbs from my garden along with recipes. Another year I gave a couple a nice piece of artwork from a local artist. But many people rely on a registry.

In my area, people usually get gifts at bridal showers. For the wedding, most people put money in a card. It used to be that bridal showers were for dish towels, kitchen utensils, and other inexpensive things. Now people get their sheets, towels, dishes and cookware, small kitchen appliances etc at the bridal showers. Many people use the money from the wedding toward their honeymoon, since they already have everything else they need for the house.

Cat, the wedding as you explain it is what I have heard of years ago. The bride was expected to bring a dowry to the marriage. The bigger the dowry, the richer the husband. If you have a wedding and don't want gifts, you will have to specify "No gifts, please" on the invitation, and most people will bring a gift anyway. It is the way things are done in the US. Maybe you will choose to go back to Romania for your wedding. Either way, I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful.

Different areas do it differently. I once went to a wedding in Nebraska where the gifts were opened during the wedding ceremony and put on display in the social hall of the church. After the ceremony, everyone went to the hall to view the gifts and have cake and coffee. That was the reception. Of course, this was 40 years ago. They might not do that anymore.

I would agree with those who say to get just what you need now....something nice, but not extravagant. You might not be interested in the boys at your college, but when you graduate and go out into the workforce, you will meet many educated, gentlemen who are worthy of you, and you will want to be married.

Interesting. Though some of that sounds familiar I have never heard of people not bringing presents. Russians a lot of time simply bring money as presents so new couple could buy whatever they want.

I am not Russian. In our family, we do not do this. It is a tradition of our family and this seems very odd. One does not give a couple gifts or money for it is of the bride to bring of the things of the household and it is of the groom to bring the home. These are how a couple starts with.

The wedding is a celebration of the ceremony, food and dancing.

With love,
~Cat

It's a pretty ingrained tradition to give people presents to help celebrate their wedding. We don't have a tradition of princesses with dowries and all that :) And if you're working, it's likely your presumably American husband will expect you to contribute to the household expenses.

If you don't register, you are likely to receive gifts anyway. Years ago, before there were registries, people would get three toasters and two mixers and so on. Then the trouble becomes returning the extras! ;)

Princesses? Oh no! I am not one of these! This is confusing to me.

Of course I shall work. And anyone who I might marry shall work and be honest or I shall put him to the recycle bin for someone else to tolerate of this.

I will not have the registries. I will have the people of my wedding just to celebrate by to eat and dance.

Mamma says marriage is of both love and sometimes hard work, but it is all wonderful.

I do not need three toasters. Uckk!

With love,
~Cat

You get the idea.

This is very nice, Katie! But is it not the greatest gift to one for to pledge to each other all of their life?

This is what the wedding is. And of giving of each other is the only gift I think I shall want.

With love,
~Cat

In my area, people usually get gifts at bridal showers. For the wedding, most people put money in a card. It used to be that bridal showers were for dish towels, kitchen utensils, and other inexpensive things. Now people get their sheets, towels, dishes and cookware, small kitchen appliances etc at the bridal showers. Many people use the money from the wedding toward their honeymoon, since they already have everything else they need for the house.

Cat, the wedding as you explain it is what I have heard of years ago. The bride was expected to bring a dowry to the marriage. The bigger the dowry, the richer the husband. If you have a wedding and don't want gifts, you will have to specify "No gifts, please" on the invitation, and most people will bring a gift anyway. It is the way things are done in the US. Maybe you will choose to go back to Romania for your wedding. Either way, I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful.

Different areas do it differently. I once went to a wedding in Nebraska where the gifts were opened during the wedding ceremony and put on display in the social hall of the church. After the ceremony, everyone went to the hall to view the gifts and have cake and coffee. That was the reception. Of course, this was 40 years ago. They might not do that anymore.

I would agree with those who say to get just what you need now....something nice, but not extravagant. You might not be interested in the boys at your college, but when you graduate and go out into the workforce, you will meet many educated, gentlemen who are worthy of you, and you will want to be married.

Yes, thank you CarolPa! Perhaps I shall meet someone. I shall be thinking of this. I was of thinking just a holiday and festive table for now for Mamma and Papa and some good cookware.

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom