My Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do the same. One year I gave someone several jars of herbs from my garden along with recipes. Another year I gave a couple a nice piece of artwork from a local artist. But many people rely on a registry.

This is very nice!

With love,
~Cat

I am not Russian. In our family, we do not do this. It is a tradition of our family and this seems very odd. One does not give a couple gifts or money for it is of the bride to bring of the things of the household and it is of the groom to bring the home. These are how a couple starts with.

The wedding is a celebration of the ceremony, food and dancing.

With love,
~Cat
I think I understand your tradition Cat. It is very similar to the German tradition. When Mrs D and I got married she brought her dowry, which were plates, pots and pans, bedding, towels etc. Things that were given to her over the years to plan for her marriage.
I provided the housing, which I did, and all the associated things like gardening tools, the car and repair tools.
In Germany, a church marriage isn't legal. You have to get married at the Rathaus (City Hall in front of the Burgermeister) first. Normally on a Friday, then if you wish on Saturday you can have a church wedding.
We didn't do the church wedding part.
On the Friday evening after the Rathaus ceremony, everyone goes to a local Gasthaus for a big meal and partying but no presents are exchanged or expected from the guests.
The bride and groom are expected to be the last to leave and normally just family will drop an envelope to the bride containing money as a gift, as they leave to go home. Sometimes very close neighbors will also drop off an envelope.
In America, much like Canada, it isn't anything close to the European tradition.
Gifts, before the wedding, and during, are very much part of the celebration here.
Something to get used to.

Cat, i was reading online about Romanian wedding traditions and some of the information was similar to what you have told us and some was a little different. Most of them did not mention gifts, but a few of them did. Is it possible that it varies in different part of Romania? This one website that I have linked below said that there is a lot of food, but the guests must pay for their food. Is that true? It did say that this was not an Orthodox wedding.

Spangles: A Romanian Wedding

Cat, i was reading online about Romanian wedding traditions and some of the information was similar to what you have told us and some was a little different. Most of them did not mention gifts, but a few of them did. Is it possible that it varies in different part of Romania? This one website that I have linked below said that there is a lot of food, but the guests must pay for their food. Is that true? It did say that this was not an Orthodox wedding.

Spangles: A Romanian Wedding

This is a very nice wedding but not of the Orthodox. In aristocratic family weddings, there is no cost of this, you do not buy a gift. The bride and the groom and their families put on the wedding. The thought is of this, that wealthy families do not give the gifts at weddings. It is understood the bride and groom are not in need of gifts.

I do not know of weddings where the guests must pay for food. But I have not ever been to a wedding so I do not know of this. Mamma will maybe know. We can ask this of her!

With love,
~Cat

I think I understand your tradition Cat. It is very similar to the German tradition. When Mrs D and I got married she brought her dowry, which were plates, pots and pans, bedding, towels etc. Things that were given to her over the years to plan for her marriage.
I provided the housing, which I did, and all the associated things like gardening tools, the car and repair tools.
In Germany, a church marriage isn't legal. You have to get married at the Rathaus (City Hall in front of the Burgermeister) first. Normally on a Friday, then if you wish on Saturday you can have a church wedding.
We didn't do the church wedding part.
On the Friday evening after the Rathaus ceremony, everyone goes to a local Gasthaus for a big meal and partying but no presents are exchanged or expected from the guests.
The bride and groom are expected to be the last to leave and normally just family will drop an envelope to the bride containing money as a gift, as they leave to go home. Sometimes very close neighbors will also drop off an envelope.
In America, much like Canada, it isn't anything close to the European tradition.
Gifts, before the wedding, and during, are very much part of the celebration here.
Something to get used to.

This is true! We have family friends of Germany and they are only married five years. I heard of this!

With love,
~Cat

I have bought a tablecloth in autumn colors with matching kitchen towels.

I am just overwhelmed of this. I have a headache of thinking of this.

Perhaps tomorrow shall be better. I am sorry, but there are too many choices for me. I feel tired tonight.

I shall pick this up tomorrow. Please keep to giving me ideas. I appreciate of you all so very much.

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom