"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Beth, it is exciting to see your new house take shape step-by-step. I can't wait to see the finished product. It looks like you have a lot of property, too.

What kind of dog is that in your Avatar? It looks very much like my Maltese.
Carol, Spike has a Maltese also named Teddy. The love of my life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0164.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	20029  

Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #92
Executive Chef

Quote:
Beth, it is exciting to see your new house take shape step-by-step. I can't wait to see the finished product. It looks like you have a lot of property, too.

What kind of dog is that in your Avatar? It looks very much like my Maltese.
The closer it gets to being finished, the more impatient I am getting. I have bought into a co-housing retirement community and don't ask me what that means because I don't know! My sister is one of the developers and she is why I am here. I personally only own less than 1/5 of an acre that I can do anything with, but the community owns 4 acres, in the back yards of all the homes, that will require agreement on to decide what the use will be. It will probably be agriculturally developed but our efforts are mainly in building houses right now.

The lovely doggie is a Bishon Frise.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Beth, I went back to your very first post and read right through. I noticed the dental woodwork just below the windows on your front door. Have you repeated that feature anywhere else in the house? That is a nice little touch.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #94
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Beth, I went back to your very first post and read right through. I noticed the dental woodwork just below the windows on your front door. Have you repeated that feature anywhere else in the house? That is a nice little touch.
The short answer is no.

The long answer involves what I went through designing the house. I wanted a house I was comfortable with and I had no attachment to adobe houses or houses with flat roofs. But I needed to be sensitive to the local customs and expectations. So the house is a blend of craftsman style and adobe. I had one problem with the builder and cabinet maker who at first had not worked with the craftsman style before. A lot of the interior details are southwestern style.

My house is a very different style than any other easily visible house in town. I am sure only the people who really like my house have approached me, but it is almost embarrasing how many people have told me they love the look of my house, much better than any other house in the retirement community.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #95
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
....I noticed the dental woodwork just below the windows on your front door.....:
Beth's house has teeth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
...My house is a very different style than any other easily visible house in town. I am sure only the people who really like my house have approached me, but it is almost embarrasing how many people have told me they love the look of my house, much better than any other house in the retirement community.
Sounds like a LOT of people like the look. I say get prepared for lots of visitors. Your neighbors might very well be more comfortable in your home than they are in their own. Especially when you start to bake goodies...
Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #96
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Beth's house has teeth?

Sounds like a LOT of people like the look. I say get prepared for lots of visitors. Your neighbors might very well be more comfortable in your home than they are in their own. Especially when you start to bake goodies...
I expect and will welcome all visitors. I hope I can drum up some business for my house designer and builder because the building scene is still grim here. One worker told me that the building going on in this retirement community "is the only game in town" right now. I have enjoyed watching the workers who also really like the house. More than one has told me they want to buy it. In general I think they take pride in their work but they really light up when they show me what they are working on.

I had to look up "dental work"

I'm afraid the word has gotten out about my cookie baking abilities
Old 12-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #97
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I had to look up "dental work"

Me, too. I thought it was a typo. LOL
Old 12-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Me, too. I thought it was a typo. LOL
Actually, the word is really "dentil" molding, which is simply evenly spaced rectangular blocks. However we look at it, we can sink out teeth into how lovely Beth's house is shaping up.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #99
Master Chef

Everything looks wonderful Beth! I keep looking at the kitchen and wonder if you have a sky light in there? The pictures show light on the upper walls and I'm wondering?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How soon will your kitchen be done? I can't wait to see the finished product.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote