"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #101
Executive Chef

The fireplace is coming together. The trim facade around the tiled part is some red oak that my late husband and I logged, sawed, dried and planed at our property and I sent out to NM on the moving van. The built in book shelves will have adjustable shelves. The shelves on the right are lower because the TV will go on top of the top shelf. Today I picked out the color of the grout (reddish brown) for the green tiles. The back portal finally got its first coat of stain, the gutters are mainly installed and the flagstone installed. It is hiding under the insulated blanket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1345.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	20182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1341.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	20183  

Old 12-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #102
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I am absolutely loving the design of that house!

I love that the wood for the fireplace facade has such a special story behind it. I can't wait to see it all finished!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #103
Executive Chef

Thanks bakechef. A lot of the credit goes to the woman who designed my house. It has been a long scary process. I never expected to be building a house at this point in my life.

The fireplace facade has tapered posts which mimic the tapered posts on the portals. The house designer gets total credit for that. Here is a better photo of that detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1346.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	20184  
Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Grout! Ask them to add grout sealer to the grout before they put it on/between the tiles.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #105
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
The fireplace is coming together. The trim facade around the tiled part is some red oak that my late husband and I logged, sawed, dried and planed at our property and I sent out to NM on the moving van. The built in book shelves will have adjustable shelves. The shelves on the right are lower because the TV will go on top of the top shelf. Today I picked out the color of the grout (reddish brown) for the green tiles. The back portal finally got its first coat of stain, the gutters are mainly installed and the flagstone installed. It is hiding under the insulated blanket.
I imagine it means much to you that Rich's touch and your life together will be there forever at your beautiful new fireplace.
You've really thought of everything Beth!

You may have missed my previous question. Do you have a sky light in your kitchen? I'm curious because of the lighting in the pictures.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #106
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That is a beautiful fireplace. It's all coming along so nicely!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Thanks bakechef. A lot of the credit goes to the woman who designed my house. It has been a long scary process. I never expected to be building a house at this point in my life.

The fireplace facade has tapered posts which mimic the tapered posts on the portals. The house designer gets total credit for that. Here is a better photo of that detail.
How pretty!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #108
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

You may have missed my previous question. Do you have a sky light in your kitchen? I'm curious because of the lighting in the pictures.

There are no "traditional" skylights in the house. The "light" in Taos is famous to artists and others, and what you were seeing in the kitchen photos was simply natural light coming in from the east/morning sun and reflecting off of something.

I do have 3 solar tubes, or modified skylights. One is in the pantry, one in the bathroom and one in the hall way from the front door to the back of the house. They can best been seen in the exterior photos as a 12 inch round bubble on the roof.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #109
Master Chef

Those "tube" type skylights are so cool Beth. My son installed them himself in several "otherwise dark" places in his home.

I have a large skylight in my kitchen and bathroom and I love having the natural light. Both you and I are blessed to have the sun so many days of the year.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Are those solar tubes the ones that use optical fibres?