My proposed new house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations, Beth! Your home is beautiful!

Now you can enjoy the process of putting everything in its place and making it truly your own. You so deserve it! :flowers:

I am so happy you are finally there ... congratulations and enjoy every square inch of that labor of love !

Very nice view there. I could do that. Looks great Beth.
Looks like few neighbors? Is your house all by itself?

You are going to need a driveway. So you don't track in dirt and mud from the outside. No need to dirty those beautiful floors.

Thank you for your kind comments. It still is not real that I live here. Tomorrow night is the monthly business meeting and when I walk home from that, then it may seem real.

I have neighbors. I am part of a new retirement, co-housing, community that has 28 building lots. Nine houses have been built so far. I will post a photo I just took from my back porch, showing the other back yards. The houses are situated roughly on a circle, so we can't see the others' house fronts.

Most roads are dirt roads here, as is the road I built on, so driveways would be ineffective for limiting dirt. The dust and dirt is one of the worst parts of living here. Think dust bowl conditions. Everyday.

Well, I am not able to upload the photo right now, will try tomorrow.

Beth I think I am safe in saying that every member of DC wish for you to have a long and happy life in your new home. It has been a long journey and I would like to thank you for taking us along it, with you. I have enjoyed the trip tremendously. :angel:

Contemplating, most like cannot afford it. But we went to check out the place.

If you already own the land, building is an excellent option.
It used to be less expensive than buying a house. But I understand materials are much more expensive which might make building out of your reach.

A couple things I would recommend.

1) Don't try and be the GC.
2) Don't cut corners.
3) Make sure everyone on the project is licensed and insured.
4) Contacts are very important even with sub contractors.
5) Look at several homes built by your GC/builder and not only look, but stop in and talk to the owners. See what they did and did not like about the experience.
6) Get at least three quotes from reputable contractors before you hire anyone.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I do not own Land. It is a custom builder that bought the land and is building few homes. Kind of expensive. $150 per square foot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom