"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks, GB!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

My pleasure!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I suppose my Master's Thesis, such as it is, if I ever get to finish it...should be backed up smarter.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

It would be a shame to lose that!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I use several LOCAL methods for a 3 level backup......

I will *never* trust MY stuff to a remote "cloud" where my data could be stolen or otherwise compromised...if my data is NOT in my hands it's NOT in my control...

A few years ago I had the boot drive on my primary computer do a fatal crash...the heads touched the HDD platters like a bulldozer and the hard drive was rendered a brand name doorstop...beyond the capabilities of a data recovery service...

So since then I back up onto CD-rom disks, and now I use DVD disks as ROM (data) disks...this is my first level backup...

Second level backup for email, photo's, database files, etc go onto Western Digital "Book" external drives...

My newest and third level of backups is also onto external HDD's...in this case I have a HDD "docking system"...the dock is made by www.startech.com and I have the 2 slot version...you simply plug in a *internal* style HDD into a slot, and plug into the computer via USB or eSATA...I have several 1.5tb Western Digital Caviar "Green" drives for audio and video files...

It's not a matter of IF a hard rive will fail, but WHEN...
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

That said...How to I organise my data...???

On my computers (I have 5 in active service) I separate the data files from the program files...and I create sub directories (folders) specifically for certain type of data, such as photo's, music, video, data files, email, letters and documents, downloads, graphics, etc

By having the DATA files kept apart frpom the program files, it's easier to make *incremental* backups of ONLY the data files...not everything (after I've done it once)...
Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Every picture that I take gets edited and sent to the "cloud" immediately. I use google docs to backup documents (not sensitive ones). I do taxes online with turbotax so they have a backup copy that I can print any time. I print copies of the taxes and file them.

I don't have sensitive data on my laptop.

I like the cloud because I can access my stuff pretty much anywhere that there is internet, so I always have my best recipes at the ready, in my pocket, via smartphone.

I don't have an extensive music collection or movies in digital form.

One warning to people considering online backups. If your internet provider has a "cap" to the amount of data you can use, if you are doing massive backups, you can eat up all of your data allowance for the month and then some. I know Comcast has a cap, and I know that a lot of Canadian IPs have caps on theirs as well. Those that use 3g-4g hotspots will have caps as well, usually MUCH smaller than traditional land line based IPs. From what I understand, it doesn't matter whether you are uploading or downloading.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Rhodes View Post
I use several LOCAL methods for a 3 level backup......

I will *never* trust MY stuff to a remote "cloud" where my data could be stolen or otherwise compromised...if my data is NOT in my hands it's NOT in my control...

A few years ago I had the boot drive on my primary computer do a fatal crash...the heads touched the HDD platters like a bulldozer and the hard drive was rendered a brand name doorstop...beyond the capabilities of a data recovery service...

So since then I back up onto CD-rom disks, and now I use DVD disks as ROM (data) disks...this is my first level backup...

Second level backup for email, photo's, database files, etc go onto Western Digital "Book" external drives...

My newest and third level of backups is also onto external HDD's...in this case I have a HDD "docking system"...the dock is made by www.startech.com and I have the 2 slot version...you simply plug in a *internal* style HDD into a slot, and plug into the computer via USB or eSATA...I have several 1.5tb Western Digital Caviar "Green" drives for audio and video files...

It's not a matter of IF a hard rive will fail, but WHEN...
There are two things to keep in mind with your backup methods. First is that CD's and DVD's are not meant for long term storage. The media has a very short stable lifespan that you can count on. The other thing to consider is that you have all your backups in one physical location so if something happens to that location (like a fire or natural disaster) then the on site backups will not do you much good.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If anyone comes across a decent online backup located in Canada, please let me know. I have client data that I would encrypt and then put online, but our privacy regulations make it very iffy to do that on servers that could be subpoenaed by foreign governments.