"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Head Chef

My rescue Greyhound

We always wanted a rescue greyhound when we retired. Well, my husband retired early and I'm not quite retired but its close enough

So, we just got our rescue greyhound. Greyhounds can be mistreated terribly after their racing careers are over (they retire them at around the age of 4). Luckily ours had good owners, and wasnt mistreated but we liked the idea of being able to give a retired racing dog a home.

He's called Kane (his racing name was Rocket Kane), and he's the size of a small horse (ok I'm a shortarse so everyone looks big to me).

People think that because he's a greyhound, we have to run round a racetrack with him at 40 mph every day. Completely the opposite, they are incredibly laid back and lazy. Given the chance he would sleep 23 hours a day.

He's good for us as we make the effort now to get out and walk ! I even walked him in the rain! Yes, messed my hair up and everything. I did buy nice pretty wellies so I looked the part though.

Here's a pic of my lazy baby

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kane and Tigger.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	14223  

Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Gravy Queen,

Congrats on the new family member ... He is beautiful ...

We have done same with an abandoned Donkey, Rubí ... She is pure Andalusian, Silver and 11 years old. The Vet rescued her on the highway, enroute to one of his Cattle Ranchers ... She is like a dog ... Follows Filippo just about every where.

Kind regards and have lovely Sunday.
Margi. Ciao.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Master Chef

How lovely! Yes, retired racing greyhounds do need exercise, but the flip side is that they are also used to living in confined spaces. In Florida, where there are many race-tracks, there are many retired 'hounds. Lots of vets keep them as the clinic pet, also the clinic blood donor. They're used to living in kennels and used to giving blood (testing for doping before races), and are much beloved by the vets and staff. At the greyhound race track in Daytona there is an "adopt a retiree" booth where you can adopt these guys, and most are well-cared-for. I have always preferred a dog I can actually pick up, needs be, but if I wanted a larger dog, this is where I'd go.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Cook

What a cutie! You're really doing a great thing by giving these retired guys a seccond chance so to speak.
Greyhounds are lovely!

But GQ. Retired soon? I thought you were in your 20s, maybe 30s, judging from the avatar you used to have. Retired from modelling perhaps?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Congrats, GQ! Love greyhounds, Kane is adorable.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
We always wanted a rescue greyhound when we retired. Well, my husband retired early and I'm not quite retired but its close enough

So, we just got our rescue greyhound. Greyhounds can be mistreated terribly after their racing careers are over (they retire them at around the age of 4). Luckily ours had good owners, and wasnt mistreated but we liked the idea of being able to give a retired racing dog a home.

He's called Kane (his racing name was Rocket Kane), and he's the size of a small horse (ok I'm a shortarse so everyone looks big to me).

People think that because he's a greyhound, we have to run round a racetrack with him at 40 mph every day. Completely the opposite, they are incredibly laid back and lazy. Given the chance he would sleep 23 hours a day.

He's good for us as we make the effort now to get out and walk ! I even walked him in the rain! Yes, messed my hair up and everything. I did buy nice pretty wellies so I looked the part though.

Here's a pic of my lazy baby
+1
Old 07-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

He's beautiful GQ! Thanks for adopting him.

If we ever get out of the underground apartment, I will be looking for a dog!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
He's beautiful GQ! Thanks for adopting him.

If we ever get out of the underground apartment, I will be looking for a dog!
AHA! I knew it! A convert!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
AHA! I knew it! A convert!
I've had dogs before, we had two labs for two years. They went to the guy next door since they spent most of their time with him and the sheep, when we had to move to student housing.

But, I've been a cat person all my life.

My first dog was when I was a baby and I don't remember her. And dogs were always on the farm, they worked hard.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We had planned to adopt a couple greyhounds a few years ago after losing our cockers and Dalmation to old age. We read the requisite books, filled out the required forms, showed up at the out of town rescue place, only to find they'd lost our paperwork, and we would have to start over. So I went to our local Humane Society, and fell in love with our little beagle. She would LOVE a kitty to call her own. Maybe when I retire...