"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
they keep changing the forcast, up to a footor more,then if storm moves more north we might get sleet on top of snow. Either way it sounds like it's going to a mess.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
wow! you threw a belt? now that's a donut!

lol, i remember all of the cassette tapes (with van halen's "hot for teacher" blaring in the deck) and anything else not nailed down bouncing off the windows and dashboard.
I had a "69" Dodge Van with rear wheel drive, and a 68 Polaris mustang snowmobile with an 18 inch track, with cleats that ran the full width of the track. Now talk about two doughnut making machines. And as for the driving right of passage, I took all of my kids, boys and girls, when they were in driver's ed, and at night we went to the bowling alley parking lot, where they were taught by dear old dad to control a skid, get out of a spin, and to be able to spin to the desired degree of a turn. Before I got done with them, they could predict and execute how far they would the back end around. I also taught them how to use front wheel torque to spin the car on purpose, if they needed to get off of the road when going sideways (happened to me on an especially slippery day while making a slow turn around a tight corner, my car went sideways and it would have taken too long to straighten it out with the oncoming traffic, so I spun it and parked it on the shoulder until the traffic cleared). Seat of the pants driving is an essential skill where I live (on the Canadian Border).

Also, it was sooooo much fun "skiing behind my buddies car in hard-soled shoes at 2 a.m. on wintery nights, trying to stay on your feet while the drive tried to make you fall. Oh wait, that wasn't me. It was my evil twin. And of course, I never was the driver in such an escapade.

Now it's in life experiences like these that I and BT are blood brothers.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Also, it was sooooo much fun "skiing behind my buddies car in hard-soled shoes at 2 a.m. on wintery nights, trying to stay on your feet while the drive tried to make you fall.
i think every guy i knew kept an old pair of worn out hiking boots or work shoes just for that reason. i don't know why, but it was called "skitching".

this doesn't sound right, but someday g.w., i'm gonna have to head north and we'll take turns hanging on to each other's bumper, riding around town.

(i still refuse to watch "brokeback mountain", though)

boy, tg, do you see the male bonding that you started? let me see your war face!!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

We used to really ski behind one guy's Jeep. Think water skiing. Now that's a blast.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
OK guys we females do stuff like that too. The boys use to get mad at me because I could hang onto a bumper longer then they could. That is until my parents saw me and told me if I did it again I'd be grounded for life.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

one good pothole will do that for you as well!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i think every guy i knew kept an old pair of worn out hiking boots or work shoes just for that reason. i don't know why, but it was called "skitching".

this doesn't sound right, but someday g.w., i'm gonna have to head north and we'll take turns hanging on to each other's bumper, riding around town.

(i still refuse to watch "brokeback mountain", though)

boy, tg, do you see the male bonding that you started? let me see your war face!!!!

I think you're all crazy!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
I think you're all crazy!!!
Ah T.G., you just gotta get the adrenaline pumpin' at some point in your life. Come on up here where I live. Those sandpits are still in place, and the steepest side is still there. A ride from top to bottom on a well waxed tobogan, standing up, now there's a thrill ride. Makes roller coasters seem like a ride on a kids tricycle. And that's a true story! (No one else in the neighborhood had guts enough to try that stunt. I'm the king looney around here.)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #39
Head Chef

Right now it is -1 below zero and a wind chill of 25 below and in a word it sucks
Bah Humbug.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

just to be picayune, that's 4 words and a lot of exclamation points.

or were you shivering too much?