"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Master Chef
My son was in a wreck last night

Thankfully he's okay!!!
But, his car was towed. There was 3 cops and 2 of them were in his face the entire time yelling at him asking him what he had been drinking and what bar he came out of. They gave him a field sobriety test, which he passed with flying colors and no drugs in the car. What my son said happened is this. He was going east and the other 2 vehicles were headon going west. The first truck turned left in front of him and he was able to slow down enough to avoid him, but, the car right behind him continued to turn too and my son hit him. It was raining and he was just unable to stop. He slammed on the brakes, but, slid right into him. The other driver was never tested!!!! DS said he could smell it on him as he is screaming in his face threatening him that he better not see him walking on the road!!!
The one nice cop backed the guy up off of him and told him not to talk to him like that and walked him away. We have to wait until next week to get to get the report and have to pay $7 for it. He's scared and so upset about the car. He just got it a month ago and he barely makes $7 an hour and just can't afford to fix it. Did not get any of the other guys information from being so scared and shaken up and he didn't know what to do. Hopefully, we can get the information from the police.
I will be SO glad when 07 is over!!!!

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Master Chef
Texasgirl, so sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, many police think the younger driver is at fault. I understand how upset he is and you are for him! I hope your son didn't get cited for any violation in addition to the accident. The other things will work themselves out. Just be thankful he wasn't injured or worse!

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Sous Chef
So sorry to hear what you and your son have been through. Sending you a hug.
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Sous Chef
TG I am so very sorry to hear this. You as well as your son must be feeling very shocked and shaken. Why is it that the police,( in the UK as well) always feel they have a right to pick on young people.
I am just so sorry.
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Master Chef
I know exactly how you feel. Fortunately for us, the local comps know me and my kids. Whenever anything happened, they knew my crew weren't drinking or messing with drugs.

We did have an incident in my back yard. A freind of my eldest daughter, from British Columbia, was visiting. He tossed a fire-cracker out of my my youngest son's bedroom window. It landed near to where our dog was tied up. A cop lived behind us and came out to holler at my son, who was in the back yard. That particualar son didn't like this particular cop. And in fact, my son had nothing to do with the firecracker incident, but didn't want our visitor to get into trouble, and so took the blame. The cop yelled, my son yelled, my son ended up in juvenile court and received a sentence of 2 weeks community service, and 6 months probation. I still don't care for that cop. Sometimes, not always, but too often, people in authority positions abuse their power.

I hope all goes well for your son. I know that as a parent, you are worried for him.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
Head Chef
I do understand, very well.

But your son is alive, not hurt, and will be able to go on.

Stuff, even very nasty stuff, happens to all of us. But he came out OK. Thank God.

Do the best yu can with getting some bucks back, but give your kid a hug.

He is still with us.

Stuff can be replaced, children, as I know so well, cannot be.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hugs Texas.
Sounds like ya need a few.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Shouldn't the Police given your son a copy of an accident report. They do here in Mississippi. The first vehicle, driver information etc. on the report is the one that was at fault.

The main thing is he is Ok! Stay chilled TG...It will all work out.
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
TG sorry to hear about your son, I'm glad he's ok. Police make everyone nervous and are very intimidating especially to young people, continue to stand behind your son. I know here if you turn in front of someone your at fault. Wait to see what the report says then go from there. Good Luck.
mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I feel bad for him Tg. At least he wasn't hurt. That's the most important thing right now.

middie is offline   Reply With Quote