"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,575
yeah, over time a child can build up a reaction to the stings that isn't apparent on the first one.........since your son has already ben stung once and if you're concerned I'd recommend keeping bendryl on hand just to be on the safe side........and take it with you to t-ball games, etc.........I always did tho neither one of my kids had allergies........just remembered my sister's reaction and she was in her 30's........
__________________

__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dansville NY
Posts: 859
GB, As a child I was always stepping on those darned bees in our backyard, it seems they wanted to see how much I liked playing in the backyard!! I never have developed a reaction to them. I still get stung, no reaction. On the otherhand, my middle child is deathly allergic to any stinging bug. She has to have an epipen with her at all times. Good luck with your boy. Dawn
__________________

__________________
DawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
I may be allergic so I carry Epi Pens. It doesn't hurt to keep a couple in the house just have the doctor write a prescription they work for food allergies as well, these are only to be used if your airway swells and you can't breathe etc. They make smaller ones for kids called Jr. Epi Pens. Where I live it's 45 minutes to town and if you end with anaphylactic shock and don't have an Epi you will not make it to town in time. It's a good idea to have at least two pens. Even with the pen if you end up having to use it you still need to go to the emergency room right away because you could have a relapse. Another thing is if you have a Pen you just might be able to save someone elses life Iv'e heard many stories about this. Some people end up with a deadly alergic reation out of nowhere there for not prepared. I actually helped a guy at the high country lodge when he started going into shock and they couldn't find his Pen. It's a site you do not want to see when it happens but being prepared is a must.
In my First Aid class the legalities are you offer the pen to them and let them administrate the adrenaline themselves if they cannot you have to ask them if they want you to do it for them. Taking Benadryl is also recommended along with the pen. Some people have had some success in an emergency with the Primatine Mist inhalers.
__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
middie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cleveland,Ohio USA
Posts: 16,264
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I got stung by a bee right in the cleavage area. That hurt like a son of a gun !!
My dad got stung by wasps a few times but he never had an allergic reaction except
for redness around the sting. I do know that shortness of breath can be a sign though.
Glad to see you have a tough little guy there Gb.
__________________
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
GB,
do what expat girl suggests, the first time might be okay but he can have a problem the next time so check with his doc and be armed cuz boys being boys there will be a next time..Give him a hug for being such a brave little guy and mommy gets one as well..I think your mom was trying to make the situation better and not so scary..Listen to what the doctor will say and your set and ready..
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 2,686
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Poor baby. Sorry to hear GB. Good thing he wasn't in great pain. My daughter got stung once and she hurt quite a bit. I would keep a close lookout if he gets stung the second time around.
__________________
Dina
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,575
yeah I forgot about epipens.........good investment..........:)
__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,862
Bees will always die after they sting, others still live to sting some more! I feel wasps know this too well and are not afraid to be around humans. I remember our mother was cutting down honeysuckle, don't know what happened but she was stung many times while she cut it down. Being raised on a farm, she seemed to show no fear. Days later she seemed to be worn out but nothing else, not even welts. I just hate wasps since then and t he fact that they won't die from it. Should be some kind of penalty for harming others.
__________________
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #19
Cooking Links Contest Winner
 
shannon in KS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wamego, KS
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Glad to hear the little tyke is ok!!!!
__________________
~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
expatgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas girl living in Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,575
bees die after a sting because the stinger is attached to their internal organs so when thy sting you they are giving up their lives for the betterment of the colony.........wasps couldn't give a ...........and they can sting repeatedly........just love those red wasps and yellow jackets.........what cute names for such wonderful insects............oh, well, i guess it could be worse like a colony of killer bees which I've never run into......
__________________

__________________
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.