"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

when my daughter was a tiny baby, she was stung at least three times by a wasp. we were on my in-laws porch. not much then except for redness.

each subsequent sting in her childhood the reaction was much worse. she is an adult now. if she gets stung, big reaction, always have antihistamines available.

babe

Old 07-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #22
Master Chef

I know....I know....I know........glad that you're on top of it babetoo

Old 07-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #23
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Sounds like you got a tough kid there, GB. :D
Old 07-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Neighbors

When my ex had his bees, 6 colonies in the yard, other GRant's Farm, a neighbor who had garden directly across from the hives got stung. Two weeks later, he died. Of course, he was elderly, but I truly believe one can only tolerate certain poison and he was older. Never was I so sick about his bees. He insisted that it could have been someone else's bees! You believe this?

I just don't like having bees around where people want to live. Especially when they are living around people. They are welcome as long as they don't live in my yard. They are beneficial that I cannot deny but having someone getting stung is such a worry. Never bothered the beekeeper. What kind of person was he? When he got stung he couldn't say anything. Had to give hobby up when we divorced.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #25
Master Chef

Well, In the country.........to set your mind at rest...........most domesticated bees (not the African variety) are so pacific that they will buzz around anything that has pollen.......what are we going to do without them???? I had thousands of bees in my front yard 10 years ago and I just told the frightened neighborhood kids to close their eyes and they did.............they found out soon enough that the bees were not going to bother them..........today I see so few.............it's sad..............
Old 07-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #26
Hospitality Queen

Hope your boy's still doing fine, GB.
Question - since he's still a little guy, do you suppose that he still had food/juice on his face that they were attracted to?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It all really depends on the person who is stung. I have had only a few bee stings in my life. The only one I had any reaction to was one just above my forehead (it hurt to move my face for a few hours). My sister, on the other hand, is allergic, and each one is worse and faster-acting. I don't react much to any kind of bug bite/sting, other than a little bump and some itching. I know some people around here who have to go to the hospital for one fire ant bite, or other types of bites. Some people are allergic and some aren't, so it is best to always be prepared.

Barbara
P.S. Some things to consider--I read that bees are attracted to dark colors (my allergic sister always wears black!), people's breath, and floral scents. Oh yes, I don't know if it has anything to do with bees, but I also read that some insects are repelled by the smells emitted through the skin of people who take B vitamins.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks everyone. He is doing great. The swelling is completely gone and aside from a very small red dot where the stinger went in you would never know he got stung. He is his happy active self. I don't call him Tank for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Hope your boy's still doing fine, GB.
Question - since he's still a little guy, do you suppose that he still had food/juice on his face that they were attracted to?
I am sure he was covered in food. The only time he is not is the few seconds after he is bathed. That had nothing to do with the sting though. He disturbed their nest which was right under the deck that he decided to play drums on

We will certainly be keeping a close eye on him (as we always do). At his next Dr.'s apt we will ask about the not having an allergic reaction until the second sting thing.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #29
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
He disturbed their nest which was right under the deck that he decided to play drums on
You know, I think he was trying to tell you he wanted you to buy him a drum set.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #30
Master Chef

what a brave kiddo, geebs, to only cry fer a few!! poor kiddo.