"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer
GB's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
My Son Was Stung

Last night we went over to my parents house for dinner. My 86 year old uncle and his friend drove up from Long Island to Judge a Flower show (uncle is some sort of world renown rose expert) and it just happened to be in between my parents and my house. He has not yet met my son in person so we were excited to go over and see him.

It was a beautiful night so we were eating out on my parents deck. My son was loving it because there is a bench that circles the entire deck and it is closed underneath with chicken wire so little bodies can't slip through. He was able cruise around (his favorite current activity) the entire deck. He was all the way over on the other side with my wife and mom and everything was fine, then all of a sudden my wife's face changes and she starts freaking out. There must have been 10 wasps circling and on my baby's head. She grabbed him and ran as her arms were flailing. She got him out of there real fast, but it was too late. He was stung right on his forehead. The amazing thing is that he cried for about 3 seconds and that was it. No more crying and he was back to his normal self after that. He continued to play and smile and laugh as if nothing happened. I was completely amazed. I was stunk twice last year and reacted more than he did. The site swelled up and got nice and red, but he did not seem to notice.

Let me know if any of you have heard of this before though. My wife was freaking out worrying about what to look for to see if he has an allergic reaction. I told her what we should look for and as I was telling her my mom chimed in that it is not the first stink that will cause an allergic reaction if he is going to have on. It is the second sting that will cause it. Now regardless we were certainly going to watch him ultra close to make sure he was OK (which he was), but I do not believe the info my mother was dishing out. Has anyone else ever heard that and do you think there is any validity to it?


You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Sous Chef
jeninga75's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga
Posts: 721
Aww, sorry to hear about your son. I was stung by a hornet one time and let me tell you, I cried for a lot more than a few seconds lol. I think I was 11 or 12.

I don't know about the whole no allergic reaction until the 2nd sting... but here's a good page about all the different reactions you can get from stings.

eMedicine - Bee and Hymenoptera Stings : Article by Hemant H Vankawala

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown
jeninga75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Uncle Bob's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,390
Sounds like he is a tougher man than his daddy

(His Uncle Bob too)
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
kitchenelf's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've always heard that it's not the first time you get into poison ivy that causes you to break out - it's the second time. I don't think I agree with that either.

Here is some reading - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1846154.shtml Basically it says the more you get stung the more likely you "become" allergic to the sting.

That must have been quite scary GB - I'm glad your wife and the little guy are ok. He's a trooper and a tough little guy! I got stung by a wasp and whimpered for hours!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Master Chef
Constance's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
I know if a person has a particular allergy, each subsequent sting is more dangerous.
Most people aren't allergic, though, so I would worry about it.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
Andy M.'s Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,089
I had a reaction the first time I was stung and each time after that.

You'll check with his Dr. I assume. That's the final authority.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Contest Winner
Maidrite's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pageland SC
Posts: 3,114

GB I am sorry to here about your sons wasp sting and KUDOS to your wife for acting quickly, Baking Soda might do the trick next time. Heres another link that might help. Baking Soda Banishes Pain From Sting
If you need a smile, take mine, I'll make a new one.
Maidrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Michelemarie's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Suburb of Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,614
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Aaaawwww, sorry to hear about the sting. My son got stung for the first time last month too - he cried longer than a few seconds too. We gave him benadryl but I don't think we needed to, he was fine. I never heard of a reaction the "second" time around - interesting.
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Executive Chef
YT2095's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Just left of Europe and down a bit.
Posts: 3,875
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
a single sting can cause anaphalactic (sp) shock nevermind 2.

a quick Field treatment is to administer some Zantac (Ranitidine) or the likes, as a cox 2 inhibitor, it lessens the effects of any bad reaction and can save lives if given quickly.
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,862
When a loved one is involved, it hurts us more than it does them. I am hoping this is the case. Never have I heard of this happening where someone doesn't get some kind of reaction. I certainly would ask his doctor for sure just to ease my mind. Just sounds like he was well protected to be stung on the forehead! Wasn't there any kind of swelling or redness? When anyone around here got stung and my ex a beekeeper, it distorted their face as if t hey had some kind of mask on. Seemed to be aware of it for several days and gradually swelling went down. I sure can relate to your experience.

Just hoping he continues to resist any kind of pain. May he always be protected.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.