My sweet basil has sprouted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Woohoo! I'm so excited because I just saw my sweet basil sprout in my garden! I can't wait to have the full grown plants so I won't have to buy this anymore. I should begin planting some cilantro now, my next favorite herb. Just wanted to share....

No Licia. It's currently 62 degrees and we'll be having warmer weather throughout the week. I love our Spring weather down here.

We are having our coldest weather of the winter tonight thru Monday night - 25 degrees. I can't complain, we've had frost - but no freezes.

I brought my Genovese Basil and Lemon Balm indoors and put them in the light box and somehow I've been attacked by Spider Mites, so it's time to spray them down with my mouth-wash & dishsoap mixture :)

~ Raven ~

I'm jealous - it is still too cold here in the windy city. Actually, just "bought" some fresh basil at the store - love the days when I can go in the yard and pick what I need. Enjoy!

Basil! One of my favorite herbs. I love the fragrance of fresh basil. I'm on the East Coast so we are expecting a blizzard here. There will be no fresh home grown basil here for quite awhile.

I also purchase fresh basil at the supermarket and then either freeze it or hang it upside down to dry. I swear I could wear it as a perfume. That and fresh rosemary.

I love fresh basil in any pasta sauces, whether it be red or in an oil/butter/garlic sauce. Ditto on the fresh rosemary.

O/T: The White Candle Barn has candles in the basil scent and it's gorgeous! Just like the real thing.:cool:

I'm in Maine, I pulled my basil plant out of the ground this past summer and have it growing inside in the south facing window with much success. I pinch leaves off every now and then when I need it for pasta sauce.

licia said:
We are having our coldest weather of the winter tonight thru Monday night - 25 degrees. I can't complain, we've had frost - but no freezes.

- 25 in Florida? I've only noticed lows of 60's down there.

Perhaps you meant 25 degrees, but still, thats cold for Florida, even if your north.

Raven said:
I brought my Genovese Basil and Lemon Balm indoors and put them in the light box and somehow I've been attacked by Spider Mites, so it's time to spray them down with my mouth-wash & dishsoap mixture :)

~ Raven ~

lol raven, do you have foul-mouthed spider mites?

dina, i'm jealous. i won't have basil until may, at the earliest. i can't wait to have some good ripe red tomatoes, sliced with bufala mozzarella, chiffonade of fresh basil, drizzled with evoo and sprinkled with cracked black pepper.

or try blending chopped basil with dill into butter, then put chunks of the compound butter on baking fish.

i just saw that kimbaby tried this with salmon, i think. i'm glad you enjoyed it, kim.

The plants are so tiny still. It will take a couple of months for them to grow taller. And my plans are to make lots and lots tomato/basil sauce and as many Italian dishes possible.

awww, that sucks dina. i'm sure he meant well. you probably should scrape away the top 1/2 inch of soil to remove any residue, unless it was a safe type of herbicide that breaks down in water or sunlight. herbicides and pesticides are often systemic, meaning it gets inside the plant or bug to kill it, and if you replant there, you might end up ingesting some of the chemical in the new plantings.

Back
Top Bottom