My Vancouver Gnocchi experiment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I love doing fun unexpected things and memories in the making. Today was one of those days.

I got an invite to make gnocchi at this lady's house. She said she'd teach me how. Problem is, she lives in Vancouver BC Canada and I live in Los Angeles. I didn't let that stop me, and today was the day...

She doesn't know me, I don't know her.
Didn't matter.

I wanted to know the secret of a really good gnocchi. One not overworked, one not over processed, one that was light and tender and would in fact float to the top of the boiling water instead of finding its home on the bottom of the pot, because it's too heavy. Mine are almost football texture, oh that's fitting since this weekend I could have made mine and the DH would have tasted/felt/sensed the similarity.

This sweet woman invited me to come and she would instruct me with her knowing hands. I'm sure she didn't think I'd really take her up on it, but I did and the venture was a complete success.

Over hill over dale, planes/trains/buses/automobiles later, I arrived, wet/frost bitten and really bad hair. No matter, today, I learned something, a great teacher is all that matters. And Laurie, you are just that.

Laurie screen name LPBeier, when I told you I loved the gnocchi I made, under your guidance, I meant it.
Thank you for opening your home to me, letting me love Voilet and Joey, and making me make the gnocchi instead of you doing it while I watched. You are wonderful..............

Last edited:
wow

I love doing fun unexpected things and memories in the making. Today was one of those days.

I got an invite to make gnocchi at this lady's house. She said she'd teach me how. Problem is, she lives in Vancouver BC Canada and I live in Los Angeles. I didn't let that stop me, and today was the day...

She doesn't know me, I don't know her.
Didn't matter.

I wanted to know the secret of a really good gnocchi. One not overworked, one not over processed, one that was light and tender and would in fact float to the top of the boiling water instead of finding its home on the bottom of the pot, because it's too heavy. Mine are almost football texture, oh that's fitting since this weekend I could have made mine and the DH would have tasted/felt/sensed the similarity.

This sweet woman invited me to come and she would instruct me with her knowing hands. I'm sure she didn't think I'd really take her up on it, but I did and the venture was a complete success.

Over hill over dale, planes/trains/buses/automobiles later, I arrived, wet/frost bitten and really bad hair. No matter, today, I learned something, a great teacher is all that matters. And Laurie, you are just that.

Laurie, when I told you I loved the gnocchi I made, under your guidance, I meant it.
Thank you for opening your home to me, letting me love Voilet and Joey, and making me make the gnocchi instead of you doing it while I watched. You are wonderful..............

what a wonderful experience, i envy you. you gonna tell us how to make it??

babe

What fun. to people come together and look what happens..Fun, good food and a life long memory of the time together..Giving and sharing, that and loving are what life is about..So glad you two were able to to this.Then share it with us. Thank you both.

kadesma:)

Oh, what a GREAT story even more wonderful memory!!!!!!!!!!!!! And to have you actually DO it instead of watching is truly a gift! How exciting. Laurie, how wonderful of you to share your knowledge.

So - are there any pointers you can give us? I have stayed away from it and I would love to give it a try soon.

I won't let the cat out of the bag, cause Laurie will have to tell you all how to do it, what the recipe consists of and "her" way. Gad it was good.
Oh she'd made a sauce, a typical red sauce, of course, my favorite thing on the planet, we sat and ate and yakked. We shared secrets, cooking ones of course and a couple others too probably. I didn't ever think we'd be eating the concoction, I only thought I was going for a cooking class. Treat to be able to eat, and yes KE, she was brilliant in making me make it, she only assisted visually, or if I was about to forget something or not do something, she'd verbally step in, but making me do it, was just what I'd hoped for.
So fun.............
I'll be making this for the hubster very very soon....
Time consuming, but then everything worthwhile is.
The number of sauces that can accompany this is endless too, a favorite thing to think about. Typical spaghetti sauce will always be my favorite though.

Well, Lefse, the pleasure was all mine. I love having people in my kitchen and sharing with them the things I have learned. It never occured to me NOT to let you do it nor did I ever think we wouldn't eat it! The biggest lesson to learn when cooking for others is you need to taste the food yourself - experience it, know what it is like.

And to all the rest of you, thanks for the responses. I will be happy to post the method for making this type of gnocchi, which is a little different than what you may be used to, but is definitely light and tender. However, I hope you all don't land on my doorstep all at once expecting a private lesson - Lefse can attest to the fact my cozy little kitchen is just that:LOL:

This was a wonderul experience for me and just what the doctor ordered to take my attention away from feeling sorry for myself with my swollen leg. And I too will look on the fun memories we made.

By the way, Lefse I forgot to give you your grade - you got straight "A"s!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom