"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I think you are thinking of Alka Seltzer.
I don't take Alka Seltzer myself, and don't have it in the house, too much sodium.

Was thinking Pepto had salacylic acid, I could be wrong.

I appreciate you checking with the vet, CWS, one of the questions I forgot to ask!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Alka-Seltzer and Pepto....foaming pink fountain!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #23
Certified Cake Maniac

Hi everyone, sorry to take so long getting back but it has been a real roller coaster of a day. We couldn't get her in this morning when Joie was booked in for his grooming so had to leave her home alone with her cone collar on. I was crying uncontrollably standing outside waiting for DH to pick me up and hearing her mournful howls. (She is a bit of a drama queen but it didn't help when I already felt bad about it all).

We had an meeting to go to and got back home around 11. I took off her collar so she could drink some water and she went and laid down with DH for awhile. When she got up sure enough she had scratched it open again.

When I got to the vet Violet looked like she had gone three rounds with Rocky Balboa. The vet said it could be infected because of an initial scratch, but because new patches were popping up she was wondering about mites. So they did a skin scraping and it came clean so it is being treated as an infected eye (there is puss coming from the tear duct. So she is on anti-biotic and cream for 2 weeks and back in the office in 10 days.

She is fast asleep right now on her bed beside me - it has been a rough day on both of us. The entire bill for both of the dogs, medicine and tests was 3 times what was budgeted for the original visit. But I can't put a price on what these two mutts mean to us. But to add more to it, our awesome groomer, the only one with the patience to work through Joie's fears and behaviour problems (from way before we got him) told me today this will be his last visit with her as she is moving to the island. I wanted to break down and cry right then but held out at least until I got to the car.

Thanks so much for everyone's concern, encouragement and help. She is obviously still in discomfort from it, but hearing her snoring right now is music to my ears!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
Hi everyone, sorry to take so long getting back but it has been a real roller coaster of a day. We couldn't get her in this morning when Joie was booked in for his grooming so had to leave her home alone with her cone collar on. I was crying uncontrollably standing outside waiting for DH to pick me up and hearing her mournful howls. (She is a bit of a drama queen but it didn't help when I already felt bad about it all).

We had an meeting to go to and got back home around 11. I took off her collar so she could drink some water and she went and laid down with DH for awhile. When she got up sure enough she had scratched it open again.

When I got to the vet Violet looked like she had gone three rounds with Rocky Balboa. The vet said it could be infected because of an initial scratch, but because new patches were popping up she was wondering about mites. So they did a skin scraping and it came clean so it is being treated as an infected eye (there is puss coming from the tear duct. So she is on anti-biotic and cream for 2 weeks and back in the office in 10 days.

She is fast asleep right now on her bed beside me - it has been a rough day on both of us. The entire bill for both of the dogs, medicine and tests was 3 times what was budgeted for the original visit. But I can't put a price on what these two mutts mean to us. But to add more to it, our awesome groomer, the only one with the patience to work through Joie's fears and behaviour problems (from way before we got him) told me today this will be his last visit with her as she is moving to the island. I wanted to break down and cry right then but held out at least until I got to the car.

Thanks so much for everyone's concern, encouragement and help. She is obviously still in discomfort from it, but hearing her snoring right now is music to my ears!
Good grief! LP, glad she's doing better, and hope you can get some sleep too! I understand how you can feel so helpless.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Laurie)))
Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

((((Hugs to both of you.))))
Old 08-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #27
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks,
I just found more scratches on her other eye and her head. If this keeps up she'll have to go back and it may still be mights. I have a week's worth of catering to plan for and all I can think of is her. I will be glad when DH gets home in an hour.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

They have such lousy timing. Hopefully it is just scabs from scratching. Isn't it funny how the DH is never there when these things happen?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #29
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
They have such lousy timing. Hopefully it is just scabs from scratching. Isn't it funny how the DH is never there when these things happen?
Unfortunately his "lousy timing" is called work. He is on shift from 3 - 11pm and gets home shortly before midnight. He has texted me 3 times to see how she is doing...and me too. He would be here if he could. He is almost as bad as me when it comes to these two furballs.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I know. I've had to call s/one to come help me when the sr. Giant can't get up the ramp, has legs splayed, and I can't lift the dog, even using two slings/towels. Very frustrating. Hopefully things will get better.