"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm glad you were able to have Violet seen today and that she has some medicine. I hope there is nothing else, like mites, going on.

I'm so sorry you are losing your groomer. I hope you can find another one as good with Joie as he is. It's too bad he couldn't be there to introduce Joie to the new groomer and work along with him so Joie would maybe feel more comfortable having someone new work on him. This reminds me of my friend. She is so scared of dentists that she was actually kicked out by one dentist during a procedure because of her loud moaning and groaning that was scaring the other patients. She found a dentist who knows how to calm her down, and she is worried that if she loses him as a dentist, she won't be able to find another one who can work with her.

Gentle hugs to Violet and Joie, and to you and your awesome hubby.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I know. I've had to call s/one to come help me when the sr. Giant can't get up the ramp, has legs splayed, and I can't lift the dog, even using two slings/towels. Very frustrating. Hopefully things will get better.
Oh now that sounds distressing. I can just imagine me in that situation and the feeling of panic.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm glad Violet got looked at and is on the road to feeling better. Now Laurie needs rest...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Oh now that sounds distressing. I can just imagine me in that situation and the feeling of panic.
Yes--for the 4-legged and 2-legged beings involved.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #35
Certified Cake Maniac

Well, "Mother and Daughter" both had a good sleep last night and I for one feel much more rested and less stressed. We didn't put the collar on but DH said she never even woke up to go out in the night so she just zonked I guess - no scratching!

I think the bad stuff is behind us now. As long as we can keep her from scratching and reopening the wounds and it doesn't spread, the medication should start working soon. I won't be around much now for the next week to deal with it, so DH will have his turn .

I just want to thank everyone for listening to me. Never having had children, I have channeled my maternal instincts on my dogs and my youth group. Right now my time is divided between both and even though I broke down a bit yesterday, I know I can handle it and it all worked out. Another lesson learned!

Now my attentions are turned to 6 kg worth of meatballs, 1 kg of taco meat and 1 kg of pizza beef!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #36
Certified Cake Maniac

Violet is waaaay too smart for her own good. We have tried everything possible to get her to take her antibiotic. Tricks we know from past dogs, things the vet office have told us, EVERYTHING. She will take it once and the next time you try that technique (say, putting it in pieces of pork meatballs and putting other pieces of the meatballs in her dish with nothing in them) she knows. She is loosing weight and we are wasting pills. Because I am in so much pain, we are down a car (DH's had a nail in his tire and it is in the shop) we changed Violet's appointment to Wednesday and they are going to give us something to try and get her to take the pills.

The eye itself is looking better and there is no more puss there, but the cuts around the eye are still open. We've gone back to keeping the cone on when we can't watch her.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Latex glove, pop her mouth open, and shove the pill to the back of her throat, keep her head tipped back and rub her throat. I know, that sounds nasty, but that's how I gave chemo tabs to a dog--it worked.

After that, in dog class, I would include an exercise re: pilling the dog (with bits of soft treats--no glove) so that one could pill the dog and not have to use the glove.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There's a type of blowgun, for lack of a better word, that I recall could be used on cats. Why not try something similar for dogs? I wonder if a big, long straw would work, or a piece of plastic tubing. Put the pill in the tube, stick it down her throat, and give a good blow. Might need to be a two person job, one to hold her jaws open, the other to blow. And you may need a couple practice dry runs to make sure you can blow the pill through the tube.

The things we go through for our furbabies! Good luck LP!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #39
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Peanut butter. Get a big gob on a spoon, wipe it up with your finger, press the pill inside, open her mouth and wipe the peanut butter on the roof of her mouth. That is how I get ours to take their pills. After this last course of anti-biotics, Ali (my Avatar) started coming into the kitchen and waiting for her peanut butter in the mornings.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
There's a type of blowgun, for lack of a better word, that I recall could be used on cats. Why not try something similar for dogs? I wonder if a big, long straw would work, or a piece of plastic tubing. Put the pill in the tube, stick it down her throat, and give a good blow. Might need to be a two person job, one to hold her jaws open, the other to blow. And you may need a couple practice dry runs to make sure you can blow the pill through the tube.

The things we go through for our furbabies! Good luck LP!
And hope that Violet doesn't know how to blow back...