My Violet has an owie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
For those (very few) who don't know, Violet is my precious 8 year old boarder collie/boxer. She and I are a team. We both have arthritis, allergies and when one of us is upset or hurting the other has a hard time.

Yesterday I noticed her eye was slightly swollen and there was a scratch above it. I just figured that Joie, our bichon malti-poo scratched her when they were playing. Joie is going for his grooming tomorrow and Violet gets her nails clipped at the same time. I just thought it was because his (or her) nails were too long. This morning it was slightly more red and DH put some polysporin on it, but it still looked not bad. We made an appointment for her to see the vet in the afternoon when I pick Joie up. They asked if I wanted to bring her in today but I said it wasn't too bad.

Well tonight she came out to see me and the area around the eye was three times the size of the other and there was red everywhere. I tried to put poly on it but it must really hurt. The poly we use has a numbing effect, but you have to keep it on the area for a bit for it to work.

I am beside myself. I hate to see either of my furbabies hurting. And Joie knows something is wrong too.

I feel responsible for letting it go this long and now she can't get in until 4 pm tomorrow :(

Poor Violet. :( I am praying for her to feel better soon. And don't kick yourself for waiting -- that will just aggravate your arthritis! Seriously, I know how much you love both Violet and Joie and you have always done your best for them. :flowers:

Thanks, everyone.

Yes, I get worried, Barbara and second guess myself. They are the closest thing to children we can get. I was also worried about Joie because he seemed out of sorts with Violet getting all the attention. But a couple of extra treats thrown his way and he was fine ;)

When DH got home we put the plastic cone collar we got last year when she sliced her paw. She doesn't like it but seems to know we are trying to help.

Laurie, Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

So sorry to hear about your 4 legged friend ... Have you taken her to The Vet ? or at least called The Vet ?

I am not a self medicator, nor do I play guess whats !

I am a true realist, and deal with realism ... Take her to the Vet !

Inflammation is normally allergy focused, an allergic reaction to something ! or somebody ...

All my best and all our SPEEDY RECOVERY WISHES to your 4 legged friend,
Margaux And The Vet

Good luck at the vet's office! I probably would have put a warm compress on it in the mean- time....something that wouldn't hurt, and might make it more comfortable for her.

Poor Violet, you did your best...it's not an easy job figuring out what's wrong...just ask Shrek...

Keep us updated.

{{{{{Violet}}}}}

Poor doggie. I hope she feels better soon! My vet says that dogs have a high pain tolerance. I hope she is right. I can't wait to hear about Violet's recovery. I'm sure you will take wonderful care of her LP.

Again, thanks everyone! You make me feel less of a "horrible mother".

Yes, Margi, we have an appointment with the Vet today. She was actually already going in for her nail clipping (while Joie gets his grooming). And I did phone and talk to them over the phone, doing what they said.

Thanks, CWS about the idea of the compress. We actually did that last night (before I saw your comment). But she seemed to get a much better sleep with the cone collar on, waking only once to it hurting (she was wanting to scratch) which is when we put the compress on and she went right back to sleep.

We are out most of the day and the appointment isn't until this afternoon but I will report back then.

I totally agree that one should consult a professional. However, I have had many more dogs in my life than the average person (fosters + my own, over 80) and have dealt with all kinds of things. I have five friends who are veterinarians. I will email/call when concerned. I have had dogs on IV drips, pain patches, etc., etc. My vet friends will give me advice without seeing the dog based on the information I give BUT I will then take the dog in during regular clinic hours--I only do the home treatment stuff at 3:00 a.m. or on a long weekend. Sometimes it is benadryl, sometimes Pepto (which, btw, never give the liquid version to a dog with big flews in the house--my Newfoundland turned the kitchen pink--always administer outside), sometimes it is soaking the paw in epsom salts, sometimes it is OTC things. Having said that, I do know when I NEED to bring the dog to the vet and when I can wait. I also know how to describe what is wrong so the vet can get a visual image of what is going on over the phone (or, I send pics by email). I also have my own copy of the 5-Minute Vet Consult, Merck's, and several other veterinarian medicine books. And, a lot of medications on hand. So, if the dog has a temp, and an infection, I can ask which of the antibiotics for which I have a house prescription and on hand I should start the dog on. I also have ph strips for testing urine, wormers, pain meds, NSAIDs, heck, I have more veterinarian medical supplies than I have for humans! Vet wrap works for me as a bandage material!

Last edited:
Indeed! How's Violet?

CWS, my understanding is that you shouldn't give a dog Pepto tabs, as they contain aspirin. Can you? Thought about giving beagle 1/4 tab when she was blorping.

Indeed! How's Violet?

CWS, my understanding is that you shouldn't give a dog Pepto tabs, as they contain aspirin. Can you? Thought about giving beagle 1/4 tab when she was blorping.
They changed the formula re: Pepto tabs a few years ago. I'd have to go back to one of my vet friends. I know I went through a lot of bottles of liquid Pepto before the formula was changed. My advice--unless the vet says give Pepto--don't.

I think you are thinking of Alka Seltzer.
Now you've got me confused--sending an email to one of my vet friends!

The tablets don't work as quickly as the liquid, which is why I always used the liquid--syringed it in to the dog's mouth. I "think" tablets take at least 30 minutes to coat the stomach, liquid less time than that--but never administer that in the house if you don't like Pepto Pink as an accent color!

Back
Top Bottom