"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Executive Chef
My Wife is a Stalker

Chester now has two quality food retailers Marks and Spencer has been their for yrs, Waitrose has just opened 2 doors away. Although I am not a supermarket fan along with Harrods and Selfridges they are the best.
Both reduce the food that is on its sell by date.
Last week Waitrose put 5 free range 13lbs turkeys out with a sell by date of the 27th, on the 26th 3 were left.
The stalker returned on the 27th to claim her victim who was reduced from 30 to 16 or about $24.
Do any of you do this, I dont think she ever pays the proper price for anything.
The victim Click image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 510.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	12495

I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Master Chef
Since I stopped working I have more time than money so I seek out these types of deals.

Like the old saying "the rich get their ice in the summer the poor get theirs in the winter".

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Master Chef
Site Moderator
The one locally own store near me reduces meat and poultry the same way. I find some really good deals but during the week, not usually on weekends. It comes home and immediately gets repackaged and put in the freezer.
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Alas! This is exactly what I am forced to do. I am on an extremely fixed income and depend on food stamps to eat. I receive a generous amount and make a big shopping at the beginning of the month. I save the rest for bargains and sales during the month. And if it is something that can go into the freezer, so much the better. My supermarket has those manager's special where they will 'sell by' the next day. They can be as much as $2 less a pound than the original price. Since I live alone, a large roast cut in half, can be quite a savings. I usually cut it into thirds though. One third for a roast, one for stew, chilli, etc. meat, and perhaps one for steaks. Depends on what kind of roast. I am always on the lookout for Porterhouse steaks, (the most expensive) as a 'Manager's Special'. They get rewrapped right away and go right into the freezer. I don't tell too many of my friends about the Porterhouse ones though. I get that, "You're on Food Stamps and can afford them?" They can be anywhere from $9.50 to $25.00 a pound. My store usually sell them for about $12.00 a pound. Way out of my range of affordability. I refuse to pay more than $5.00 a pound for any meat.

I have a question for our members. Do you pop your meats into the freezer in the store wrap and tray that you bring them home from the store, or do you rewrap them? I always rewrap mine after I have cut them down to a single serving. Even the smallest package of sausages is more than I can eat in one sitting.

So to answer your question, "Yes, I too am a stalker."
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
I won't go back for something in hopes I will find it reduced and not sold out. Probably because the only stores I will by from on the sell by date aren't that close to me. No way will I buy any meats on the sell by date at the town grocer.
But if I am at one of the other stores and I run into a deal, what is labeled here as "manager's special", I will buy it. Usually it is a family pack of steaks that I will pack for the freezer.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
we often see "manager's special" marked on meats that are going to expire that day or the next, usually with $2 or more off per pound.

the only time i take advantage of it is when i'm food shopping and am unsure of what i'm making that night. then, i'll pounce on a nice standing rib roast, or veal chops, or pork roast at the reduced rate (after calling home to check with the warden to see if it's ok for dinner). if the item was on sale to begin with, it can be a real savings upwards of 60 or 70% off the original price.

otherwise, i've learned to pass up the deal if i'm not going to cook it that night. i've bought these manager's specials and ended up throwing them away as they went bad before i could get to cooking them. even buying it with the intent of freezing them right away hasn't worked all that well as they go can bad during the thawing process.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
Wine Guy
Depends on what it is. I often buy bread on sale that's a day or two old. It softens right up in the oven. Certain cuts of meat are also bargains right after a holiday. I have no problem buying beef or lamb if the expiration date is close. Poultry and fish I am usually a little wary of, though.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
I'll buy lamb and beef that is marked down, never fish and never poultry.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'll buy lamb and beef that is marked down, never fish and never poultry.
The worst day to buy fish is Monday. It has been sitting there since last week and the fleet hasn't unloaded their boats that came in over the weekend.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Sous Chef
I'll buy beef that's marked down. I really never pay full price for anything unless I buy it from Costco or it's a special splurge. I get my chicken from Costco, splurge on fish a couple times a month, and buy beef when I can get a good deal on it. I don't cook meat every day, though. In between we eat things like beans and rice, eggs, or I use cheese or nuts as the meal's protein.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote