"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Executive Chef
larry_stewart's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,517
Name of those things we put in the center of a 45 record ?

I jsut was watching a music video which stated off showing an old 45 with one of the things in the center of it that made it possible to play on a regular record player. It got me wondering if those things actually had a specific name ??

Just curious,'



larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Master Chef
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Probably, but I have no idea what they are called..... even though I have a bunch of em downstairs.
Liked the first song, though.... LOL.

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Head Chef
JustMeToo's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,108
I think it was just a "disk". You would use it for 45's and take it off when you wanted to play a 33.
JustMeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
GB's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I am sure there is a name. The scrabble players will show up soon and to let us know the official name.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Uncle Bob's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,495
A 45 RPM Spindle Adapter thing-a-ma-jig
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
Andy M.'s Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,606
There are two kinds, those that snap into the record and stay with the record, they are called spindle inserts. Then there are the turntable adapters that stay on the turntable.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Alix's Avatar
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,201
We just called both items adapters.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Master Chef
luckytrim's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 7,844
.............What Andy said.
Be Yourself ! ..... Everyone else is taken !
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Head Chef
Mama's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,810
Same here.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 11,053
The very first 45 single I ever purchased was American Woman by Guess Who in 1970. I remember I couldn't play it because I didn't have any of those 45 RPM inserts.

So I went to Sears and bought these:

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.