Name pronounciation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok I'm probably asking for it...but if you saw this name - how would you think it was pronounced?

Chaunda Ann

Boy, does this thread take me back.

When I was entering my first year of high school, we had a female classmate who had an unusual first name.

It was spelled "Rhuyna." In the beginning, everyone called her "Rayhoona," which was understandable given the spelling.

Correctly pronounced, it was: Renee or phonetically, "Renay.' Who'd a thunk it?

The correct pronounciation in my case is like Shawn da
so you pretty much were all correct.

just curious as some people said that it can be confusing.
We are thinking of naming our baby girl due in August this name. Although we have already changed our minds a few times and had already come up with some names before this one.

legend, i'd agree with most people here, except that i see that ch as a ch, not the softer sh (so, chawn-da).

baby names are obviously very personal decisions, so NO offense meant, but unless that's a family name or some other personally meaningful name, i'd reconsider. no, i don't think every girl should be either a "jennifer" or a "sarah", but having known some kiddos that were saddled with more unusual names, i'd avoid swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.

and why not reverse it, to Ann Chaunda? you could call her Chaunda at home, and if school age rolled around and she wanted to be a little conformist, she'd have that choice. teachers would call out "Ann" and she'd get to say, "actually i go by shawn-da" if she wanted to, and everyone in class would automatically have the right pronunciation.

legend_018 said:
The correct pronounciation in my case is like Shawn da
so you pretty much were all correct.

just curious as some people said that it can be confusing.
We are thinking of naming our baby girl due in August this name. Although we have already changed our minds a few times and had already come up with some names before this one.

I think it's a pretty name.

Word of caution. Be prepared to deal with regular mispronunciations and misspellings by people who are not familiar with the name.

Back
Top Bottom