Name that dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't call it that. It is called Jansson's Temptation (Janssons Frestelse) Recipe - Allrecipes.com, not potato and anchovy bake (sorry, that just isn't "it" but yes, it is a baked dish). If you are Swedish (or your ancestors were), you call it Jansson's Frestelse and you have your own favorite recipe for the same. In English, it is Jansson's Temptation. You could make it with your smoked haddock.

You've tought me something :) a friend of mine is Swedish and she made it but just called it "potato and anchovy bake" never knew the swedish name.

Would you mind sending me the recipe if you have it? I love anchovies and my friend didn't want to share hers :(

Snip, you probably are very fortunate not to know this one! ;)

The "blue box" refers to something known as "Kraft Dinner", "KD", or "Mac and Cheese". It is a North American tradition among kids, poor starving University students and anyone on a budget.

It is noodles and a powdered cheese that come in a "blue box" and isn't that great tasting but sure does in a pinch!

Okay, my turn.
English style sausages served with a generous serving of potatoes that have been boiled and mixed with some butter and milk until smooth.
How about Bangers and Mash.

Yip, I know bangers and mash :) You not supposed to give me the answer..lol! Just what's in it, I must guess.
We get Fish and Chips wrapped in newspaper and mushy peas here too and some other dishes.
LPBeier asked the question? I remember the fish and chips wrapped in newspaper. My grandfather owned a Fish & Chip shop in Canada after arriving from England.

You've tought me something :) a friend of mine is Swedish and she made it but just called it "potato and anchovy bake" never knew the swedish name.

Would you mind sending me the recipe if you have it? I love anchovies and my friend didn't want to share hers :(
She won't share? That doesn't sound very Swedish. We love to share recipes.

I posted a link to a recipe that is close to how I make mine, with modifications.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/your-ideas-for-using-anchovies-and-paste-please-72439.html Smoked haddock would probably be very good in it if you can't get sprats.

Last edited:
She won't share? That doesn't sound very Swedish. We love to share recipes.

I posted a link to a recipe that is close to how I make mine, with modifications.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/your-ideas-for-using-anchovies-and-paste-please-72439.html Smoked haddock would probably be very good in it if you can't get sprats.

I think she just didn't know the recipe..lol! She's made many a side dish for BBQ's that resembled ready meals from Woolworths. Maybe someone made it for her!
Thank you so much for the recipe, I'm an anchovy and sardine nut! Think I would eat them on my cereal :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom