Naps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Whenever I have something that I hear that is worth while in my mind, I share it. Everyone around here likes to take a nap on the weekend. Today on Good Morning America, think that is the one w/Diane Sawyer they said that naps are really beneficial preferably between 1-3 in the afternoon. also gave info in increments of 20 min. 40min and 90 min. If you take nap longer than 90 minutes you have taken too much. They feel each amount increases certain memory, energy, and something else. Guess I have to look on their site for the details. I knew I got tired in afternon for reason! I think everybody does that is why drinking coffee all day is necessary. You are fighting your nap time. I really think this would do people good to be allowed time to get away from it all for short time. I think people in Europe or someplace they nap. Even stores close up. so I don't really feel bad now if I happen to doze off for short time. As long as I don't go longer than 90 minutes.

This really applies to our family. I must remember only from 1-3.

sorry

Made a suggestion of the benefits of a nap. Supervisor gave no response. Like never even heard it. Guess I got my answer. Wait till the weekends, if possible time then. It sounded good to me.

Here in the US you will find only a VERY few places actually have a designated "rest" time for employees. There was a show on it but I sure don't know the company now. Our bodies have their own natural clock. When I was retired somewhere between 1 and 3 I would usually nap for around a couple hours. It depends on your natural sleep cycle.

12:00 lunch hour isn't a natural time to eat either. If we were to let our "clocks" guage our appetites we would be eating around 10:30 and then again around 3:00 - but still a breakfast and a supper. We would naturally be eating about 4-6 times a day instead of shoving too much in at lunch and dinner - then again right before we go to bed.

:chef: I'm done now

You'll find me taking a nice nap every afternoon around 2:00 pm. It does a body and mind good.

If I skip it... I'm a very mean wife by midnight... ( our bedtime).

In the Kitchen, I saw that episode today of Good Morning America as well. I never take naps, but I do agree it's a good idea. For me personally, I try to get the usual hours of sleep that works for me, which is no less than 7 hours. If I have less than 7 hours I feel drained, but still do not nap, just go to bed earlier. I agree with kitchenelf too about our eating clocks.

New

I do enjoy all your feedback. Give me perspective of what you think about topic I hear. I can talk more freely here than anyplace.

kitchenelf, that sounds perfect to me. Only in my dreams(nap) could I do this. I feel rest does body good but try to tell someone else you have to work with. Or your family that thinks you should be available when they need you.

pdswife. I knew you would be t he one who is blessed. I am not envious just thankful for all your nap time.

amber it did sound pretty convincing that is why I brought it up. On weekend t hey cherish their naps.

I have to get up at 5 and maybe get to bed around 12 if I am lucky. Kind of limited around here. Guess I am slowing down due to the weather being so cold.

Love weekends because I can let myself live the way I like, usually that is.

Love to be awake for a number of hours, until I get tired, and then take a nap.

Usually it is one sleep cycle which for me is between 60 and 90 minutes. Or at least that is how long I usually nap.

Then I get up and am at it again.

So I am awake at times in the night, and am asleep for periods during the day. I love it.

But have to limit those episodes to the beginnings of weekends, gotta be ready for work on Monday, and even must restrict those opportunities for napping when we have things to do.

If I can ever retire would probably live my life that way. Take a nap, wake up raring to go, and then, when tired again, sleep.

auntdot

We can dream can't we? I couldn't agree with your goals more. Sounds perfect. Hope your dreams come true. Mine too.

I'm in food sales and calling on accounts between 12 and 1:30 is not a good idea due to lunch hours. I will pull up by an account set my cell phone alarm an take an hour drooler. It is the best! I wake up refreshed and ready to go. I look back at kindergarten and how we would fight not to take a nap. Man we were idiots back then.

JDP

Currently I'm not a napper because, most of the time, when I take a nap during the day I don't sleep well at night. Maybe I need to perfect the skill.

However, I still remember my grandfather taking a short nap (about 30 minutes) every afternoon. My father, a country doctor who made house calls, etc., also religiously took a short nap after lunch every day before afternoon office hours. I guess that helped recharge him for his unbelievable daily schedule.

I also learned, when I worked floor duty at the hospital many, many years ago, that putting my head down for about 15 or 20 minutes really refreshed me. I wish I could do that now. Maybe I should try to revisit that skill.

In the Kitchen said:
I do enjoy all your feedback. Give me perspective of what you think about topic I hear. I can talk more freely here than anyplace.

kitchenelf, that sounds perfect to me. Only in my dreams(nap) could I do this. I feel rest does body good but try to tell someone else you have to work with. Or your family that thinks you should be available when they need you.

pdswife. I knew you would be t he one who is blessed. I am not envious just thankful for all your nap time.

amber it did sound pretty convincing that is why I brought it up. On weekend t hey cherish their naps.

I have to get up at 5 and maybe get to bed around 12 if I am lucky. Kind of limited around here. Guess I am slowing down due to the weather being so cold.

Napping for adults is fine if you need it, but as I said, I get around 7 hours or more of sleep. I cannot nap because it would throw my sleep cycle off even if I had less sleep.

Back
Top Bottom