"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Nashville Stars, anyone?

I'll admit, I was never a huge country fan - I have a few I like, and DH has gotten more into the music lately, so I've had the opportunity to listen to more of it.

Anyhoooo- was doodling around with the TV the first night NS was on, and got suckered in, have been watching it faithfully ever since! The talent, for the most part is amazing; between NS and AI in general, there is WAY more talent on the Nashville side!

Do you watch? Who's your fave?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Head Chef

Well I DID like Kristen McNamara (the blonde who got voted off last week on
'Original Song' night - - go on... compare their performances). Her voice is WAY
better and stronger and more interesting than the other remaining woman, Nicole
Jamrose (who I believe will be the next to go). The three remaining fellas are all
pretty good, but I like Chris Young best.

You're right... there are some really good voices on NS. I thought it was really
interesting when the American Idols did a 'country' night a couple of weeks
ago. They were actually pathetic both in their song selections and their
performances of 'simple' country songs.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I agree about the 2 women, although I'm not as nuts about Kristen as everyone else seems to be. I liked Jared Ashley, too and thought he got a raw deal; but he's a pro, and I'm sure will get a contract just from his exposure on the show.

Have you been to the show's site? Lots of neat info - http://www.usanetwork.com/series/nashvillestar/

Chris Young certainly has the whole package (she said, fanning her face ), but I like Matt Mason too - especially the Johnny Cash song he did this week.

I'm beginning to think it's either all rigged anyway, or there are just huge fan blocks getting votes in to tilt the judging results.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Master Chef

Unfort., I missed some of the early episodes but once I discovered it was on I was hooked again, as in the the past.

I'm partial to the guys that are remaining but of those I'd have to say Chris stands out from them all and he as a real shot at being a success.

I wonder what happened to Kelly Jo and the guy that won before her.....Brad ?????.

Miranda Lambert was a contender several years ago and she's doing wonderful now. I absolutely love her voice and her songs. She's a very talented song writer and singer. I'd have to say she's my favorite that has been on the shows.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Head Chef

There was some kind of contract dispute with prior winner Brad Cotter. The album got made but I think something shady happened and he only released one song that didn't really go anywhere.

Erica Jo released one song right after her win (which wasn't very good IMO) and I heard a new one recently - - a re-make of some OLD country song ("I'm Not Lisa"). Again... maybe her voice is good but I don't think it's a really good effort, and I never did think much of that particular song.

So far the only successes from the show have been Miranda Lambert and Buddy Jewel from the first season. That said, I think that there might be a couple two or three from this season who may become regulars on the country charts.