"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Constance, I've read that you have to soak the walnut hulls overnight to get a good color. Did you find this to be true? What were you dying?

Thank you for the link. I looked through their site yesterday - great information!
I haven't tried them, but I would suspect that is true. The extent of my experience was dying little girls tights.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Head Chef

I'm with you Constance - my only experience up to this point has been using RIT dye to tie - dye at camp. Part of my "inspiration" is what I want to give with the baskets. I am making a wine basket for my sister so thought a wine dyed basket would be good. The same is true for some of the lower baskets ... I thought they would be fun filled with different coffees or teas.

As I explore this, however, there seem to be so many options! The link provided earlier demonstrates how many things can actually be used! I am excited to try some of the plant ones from my garden later this summer. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will put some of the finished products up.

Where I am getting stuck, however, is with the end result. Even if the color isn't right, I can still use the reed but I'd like to know people's personal experiences so I at least have an idea of what to expect.

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Just the skins for the potatoes? I'm going to assume if I use beets, it's the whole beet (based on the color my water turns when I cook them for dinner).

Have you dyed things using either potatoes or beets?

Thank you!
The whole potato is purple...and everything it touches turns colour. I've got a lovely yellow stain on my white kitchen towel from rubbing the skins off a golden beet.