Need A Cherry Pitter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems a lot of work....actually a hairpin bent (at the same angle, bending it at the loop end) does the same job! ;)

I've seen videos of people using a wine bottle for pitting olives. Push down on the olive over the top of the bottle and the pit goes through the top and into the bottle. That should work with cherries, too.

I've seen videos of people using a wine bottle for pitting olives. Push down on the olive over the top of the bottle and the pit goes through the top and into the bottle. That should work with cherries, too.

It would seem to me that the olives or cherries would squashed against the lip of the bottle when pushed down to free the seed.

I have a regular pitter. I use it for olive oil cured olives. I love those things. Too bad they are so expensive. My daughter wonders .... why not just buy them pitted? I think the pit adds to the flavor of the olive. And the pitted ones cost more. They are expensive enough without adding the cost of labor and laziness on my part to the total cost.

The side benefit is getting my hands into the oil while picking out the olives. Great hand lotion. :angel:

Good point Addie about flavour.
icon_thumleft.gif

I feel it applies to meat and fish also, e.g. on the bone having more flavour.

I have a regular pitter. I use it for olive oil cured olives. I love those things. Too bad they are so expensive. My daughter wonders .... why not just buy them pitted? I think the pit adds to the flavor of the olive. And the pitted ones cost more. They are expensive enough without adding the cost of labor and laziness on my part to the total cost.

The side benefit is getting my hands into the oil while picking out the olives. Great hand lotion. :angel:
I too have a cherry pitter and use it for both olives and cherries. I tried it on Lychees the other day...didn't quite work--the Lychees were too big. I used a garlic press for Key Limes--works great. I can't remember which DCer shared that tip--but THANK YOU!

Olives do lose flavour when the have been pitted, no matter how carefully they are packed. I find they go soft, too.

I never thought of using a cherry pitter for olives. That jury-rigged cherry pitter in the video wouldn't work for olives. They are in to tight. I don't have enough use for a cherry pitter for cherries, but for olives, yeah. I will probably get one. It will make adding olives to hummus a lot less effort. Oh yeah, we add them to tomato sauce too.

:angel:

Last edited:
I love cherries but they don't like my blood sugar - makes it go through the roof.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom