"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Need a critique

Hi everyone.

I've got my final due by the end of October roughly around the 20th. And I would like some critique from you guys & gals. By the way this is for Photoshop class.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Head Chef

I can't read the writing under the main title, Son of Dracula. You may want to simplify that font. Also, what is the big black thing?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I can't read the writing under the main title, Son of Dracula. You may want to simplify that font. Also, what is the big black thing?
If you mean the abstract black thing? It's going to be where I will stick my photoshopped face.

You mean the white text or the small text?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Head Chef

I mean the text directly below the son of dracula. I think it says In russia with love. It's too busy. I think it would look better with a different font. You make your blood-dripping point with the title.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
I mean the text directly below the son of dracula. I think it says In russia with love. It's too busy. I think it would look better with a different font. You make your blood-dripping point with the title.
Thank you for the help Wayogal.

I will do another version.

Here's 3 posters I'm taking my ques from. And yes my teacher said that's ok.

Dracula Posters at AllPosters.com

Seed Of Chucky Posters at AllPosters.com

The Lost Boys Posters at AllPosters.com
Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I just wonder what the text has to do with the rest of the image? And what russia has to do with anything.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

It would help to know what the assignment is to be able to critique this. Based on not knowing anything about what you are supposed to be doing, I can say that I find it very confusing to look at. It does not make any sense to me. The text is very difficult to read. It looks like you have multiple styles going on which do not fit together. The image looks like it is leaning to the left. What is that tall green-silver thing on the right? It looks very out of place whatever it is and it also looks like it is transparent at parts and not at others. It looks like it was taken from something else and dropped in here, but I don't know why or what it is supposed to be. It looks very out of place and unnatural.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks everyone,

The movie poster is spoof to be a spoof from a horror/Halloween theme type movie. And I took elements from 3 movies I like.

Chucky "the ripped effect"

Bond with the in russa with love bit.

And the lost boys, I will be doing some high post effects in photoshop with layers.

All these movie posters are here AllPosters.com - The World's Largest Poster and Print Store! And it's not done yet.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Head Chef

The cityscape really does nothing to support a horror flick. I would think that with a title "son of dracula" one would picture a boy/teen vampire. Just because a cityscape may have been used before on another poster doesn't mean it makes sense for yours. The title and pictures need to be related. and not via a link to other posters for reference. It needs to make sense on its own.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
The cityscape really does nothing to support a horror flick. I would think that with a title "son of dracula" one would picture a boy/teen vampire. Just because a cityscape may have been used before on another poster doesn't mean it makes sense for yours. The title and pictures need to be related. and not via a link to other posters for reference. It needs to make sense on its own.
Thank you Wayogal, but the photoshop teacher said we can use the wwww.allposters.com site for reference to see what they've did and how they did it.

By the way what would you change if you did it?