Need a critique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Hi everyone.

I've got my final due by the end of October roughly around the 20th. And I would like some critique from you guys & gals. By the way this is for Photoshop class.

678747896_YeCub-X3.jpg

I can't read the writing under the main title, Son of Dracula. You may want to simplify that font. Also, what is the big black thing?

I mean the text directly below the son of dracula. I think it says In russia with love. It's too busy. I think it would look better with a different font. You make your blood-dripping point with the title.

I just wonder what the text has to do with the rest of the image? And what russia has to do with anything.

It would help to know what the assignment is to be able to critique this. Based on not knowing anything about what you are supposed to be doing, I can say that I find it very confusing to look at. It does not make any sense to me. The text is very difficult to read. It looks like you have multiple styles going on which do not fit together. The image looks like it is leaning to the left. What is that tall green-silver thing on the right? It looks very out of place whatever it is and it also looks like it is transparent at parts and not at others. It looks like it was taken from something else and dropped in here, but I don't know why or what it is supposed to be. It looks very out of place and unnatural.

Thanks everyone,

The movie poster is spoof to be a spoof from a horror/Halloween theme type movie. And I took elements from 3 movies I like.

Chucky "the ripped effect"

Bond with the in russa with love bit.

And the lost boys, I will be doing some high post effects in photoshop with layers.

All these movie posters are here AllPosters.com - The World's Largest Poster and Print Store! And it's not done yet.

The cityscape really does nothing to support a horror flick. I would think that with a title "son of dracula" one would picture a boy/teen vampire. Just because a cityscape may have been used before on another poster doesn't mean it makes sense for yours. The title and pictures need to be related. and not via a link to other posters for reference. It needs to make sense on its own.

The cityscape really does nothing to support a horror flick. I would think that with a title "son of dracula" one would picture a boy/teen vampire. Just because a cityscape may have been used before on another poster doesn't mean it makes sense for yours. The title and pictures need to be related. and not via a link to other posters for reference. It needs to make sense on its own.
Thank you Wayogal, but the photoshop teacher said we can use the wwww.allposters.com site for reference to see what they've did and how they did it.

By the way what would you change if you did it?

Do you really want a critique?
I would change the font (like I suggested earlier). and I would make the picture relate to the title (like I said earlier). The viewer is not the person that should need a reference. YOU can refer to other posters, but that doesn't mean lifting disparate elements and putting them in yours. It means to look at how titles and pictures relate to each other in a successful movie poster.
If you want praise, then don't ask for a critique. cuz you'll get what you ask for.

Do you really want a critique?
I would change the font (like I suggested earlier). and I would make the picture relate to the title (like I said earlier). The viewer is not the person that should need a reference. YOU can refer to other posters, but that doesn't mean lifting disparate elements and putting them in yours. It means to look at how titles and pictures relate to each other in a successful movie poster.
If you want praise, then don't ask for a critique. cuz you'll get what you ask for.
Thank you Wyogal, and I'll ask for one ina while, my teacher said the same thing you did earlier. And I've changed a lot except for the font>text undernith the picture. I'm not sure what font will look good for undernith the son of dracula.

since you already have the blood dripping font in the title, something plain, black would work fine. Also, if going with the Russia theme, a pic of the kremlin with a teen vampire might help connect your themes. or a Russian Orthodox cross-bearing person (like when they use a cross to ward off vampires)

since you already have the blood dripping font in the title, something plain, black would work fine. Also, if going with the Russia theme, a pic of the kremlin with a teen vampire might help connect your themes. or a Russian Orthodox cross-bearing person (like when they use a cross to ward off vampires)
Good point, Well I am going for the lost boys feel for the vampire, and I will be the vampire and do a lot of post processing with out ANY make up on.

However it will take me about 2 hours to do that but I got time to kill.

By the way a little update, Yeah I know the text need to be changed like Wyogal stated.

But here's a slight update "I may end up taking the black thing out and maybe doing a fade effect of my face.
679655638_9o6bs-X3.jpg

I can only guess that is what it is. It looks completely out of place and fake. it is hard to even tell it is a building. Did you add that in? What is the purpose of having it there?

yes, I know what you mean, but I still think that you can't just take your favorite aspects of different posters and mash them together. The image and the text must relate TO EACH OTHER, not some other movie poster you like.
For example: the cityscape you are using DOES NOT make one think of Russia.

whatever it is, it is not an iconic Russian cityscape, which would suit you better, you know, onion domes and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom