"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Need a little Christmas?

i certainly do. no Christmas spirit at all. haven't decorated yet. nor done any baking.

did get almost of shopping done, but did it on-line.

i am always sad this time of year, as you all know. but this seems to be very different. everthing is just a big chore for me.

am going to big lots and michaels tomorrow hoping just the bright colors will pep me up.

what do you do to get a little Christmas in your life?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Head Chef

I am trying to feel the Christmas spirit here but so far I haven't really done it. I did put up the lights (well candles) and that is it. This is the first year without my mother and I can't image the holiday without her.

Oops the question was "what do you do to get a little Christmas in your life"

Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Well, you could start doing the things you say you haven't done yet, but I'm not convinced you have the desire to do those things yet. For me, doing those things is what really puts me in the spirit of the holiday. But, it sounds like you need encouragement to get to the point to do the spirit lifting things.

How about watching It's a Wonderful Life? Or A Christmas Story? What about riding around looking at decorated houses? How about searching victorian christmas traditions? How about finding the most christmas-y town in the USA and reading about it?

Feel like reading Dr. Seuss to the kids in the hospital? What about buying a couple of pairs of pajamas for some kids that are cold when they go to sleep? Are they any older widows or widowers that are alone for the first time that you can take shopping? Get out and get moving, my friend...get some fresh air and things will come to you.

Oh...and start wearing silly red socks. It's always a mood lifter.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Executive Chef

one thing I have done to get out of a Holiday funk is drive around to a couple of nice family neighborhoods that have Christmas lights up. Makes me feel like a kid each time!

Hope the Holiday brightens for you Babe, I definately know the feeling...
hopefully your DC family can bring you a little cheer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Who_in_Whoville_002[1].jpg
Views:	75
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	6245  

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
one thing I have done to get out of a Holiday funk is drive around to a couple of nice family neighborhoods that have Christmas lights up. Makes me feel like a kid each time!

Hope the Holiday brightens for you Babe, I definately know the feeling...
hopefully your DC family can bring you a little cheer!

I don't know who you've got wrapped in that red hood, but it's sooooooo cute!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i certainly do. no Christmas spirit at all. haven't decorated yet. nor done any baking.

did get almost of shopping done, but did it on-line.

i am always sad this time of year, as you all know. but this seems to be very different. everthing is just a big chore for me.

am going to big lots and michaels tomorrow hoping just the bright colors will pep me up.

what do you do to get a little Christmas in your life?
I went here and am on their forum too. Lots of pictures that are just beautiful. DH has the lights glowing outside, hehe.

All Things Christmas: For those who share the spirit of Xmas throughout the year.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Head Chef

I like the idea of the silly red socks and "It's a Wonderful Life"
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I have never been big on Christmas... I love Thanksgiving but Christmas has alaways been a stressful obligation laden day.. I hate shopping and while I like giving gifts I dont really like obligitory gift giving. My families many disfuntions always seem to peak on Christmas. I think bening from a belnded family made it worse. It was never a relaxing or enjoyable day always bouncing from one family set to another. This year at least we have decidec to go light on the gifts. I really hate the commercialness.

I do want to put up lights on my house because my neighborhood can be dreary and I think it would be fin to brighten it up... its been sooo cold though that stringing lights up outside just seems unfun... maybe if the weather this weekend is warmen I will feel creative
Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
I am trying to feel the Christmas spirit here but so far I haven't really done it. I did put up the lights (well candles) and that is it. This is the first year without my mother and I can't image the holiday without her.

Oops the question was "what do you do to get a little Christmas in your life"
Start wit one thing you've been putting off, get it done and then offer it to your mom for all she did for you..This will keep her in your good thoughts and warm your soul..In the mean time I'll pray that you get soem cheer and it helps you remember all the good times...
kadesma
Old 12-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Feel like reading Dr. Seuss to the kids in the hospital? What about buying a couple of pairs of pajamas for some kids that are cold when they go to sleep? Are they any older widows or widowers that are alone for the first time that you can take shopping?
Well said VB. It is, simply about giving.