"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Need a prayer or hug

Well,
last week, I had an awful time. As many of you know, my mom has been diagnosed with dementia, due to heart problems that will cause blockages in the brain. At first it was just the repeated asking of the same question. But it has now progressed to where she alternates between anger and crying. The decision to put her on meds to see if they will improve memory was for me to decide and I was waffeling about it. But, last week she was so aggresive wanting to argue with me, I let it get the best of me and argued back..When, I yelled at her Cade and Ethan both started to cry and the decision was made. I cannot have that ever happen again, so we start the meds today..I'm scared silly as there are side effects, but I have to do something..Dh has been after me and after me to put her in a home..I can't and won't right now..I took care of his mom for 6 years after her stroke,refusing to let his brothers and uncle put her away..Had we done that, she would not have lived for 6 more years.. To top that off the lady did not like me, but, she was Dh's mom..So I did what needed to be done and I'm glad I did. So on top of mom, dh is in the mix now..For now, mom stays and I have to be strong and stand my ground..So, some hugs and a prayer or two from any of you who want to give me one, will help me so much..Thanks for listening..I hate dropping this on you, but I knew you all would listen..
kadesma

Old 03-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Sous Chef

(((Kadesma))))You have all the prayers I can offer for lots of love and strength during this difficult time.I am one of 4 being #3 in the bunch and we just had to put my Mom in a nursing home permanently.My Mom is also only 73 years old but, due to MANY medical issues and her not helping herself at all.It was a tough decision but, in the long run I think we're all sleeping better at night.God Bless you for taking care of your Mom - You are certainly a stronger person than I.Love and energy, Vicki

Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Executive Chef

You have certainly got my prayers. It's a very difficult situation for you. I've been through it with my mom as well. Dementia is weird. I really didnt think my mom was demented, just angry and mouthy as you said. Unfortunately there can be side affects from medication, but you have to weigh what is best for her to keep her comfortable. Sometimes a hospice is good, but I think its always best for our loved ones to be in the care of family if possible. Prayers sent to you and yours.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Kadesma that is really tragic. Im sorry you had to go thru that with his mom but youre a really good person for doing it. You did the most honerable thing for her. And you are going to do it for YOUR mom too. Youre doing the right thing (I did the same for my mother too).
Maybe your husband was so hurt before that it is very difficult for him to live through that again. Like he going thru the pain with HIS mom all over again. BUT.... his choice should be YOUR choice.

Here is a BIG hug.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Need a prayer or hug
kadesma, you have both.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

You have my hugs and prayers for sure! Stay stong. You are doing the best you can and it is admirable!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

kadesma, i'm sorry to hear of your situation, and prayers and hugs coming your way.
be strong, you are absolutely doing the right thing keeping her home.
my wife and i did something similar for her mom, and now we only have the memories of her with us, backed up by the knowledge that we did everything we could to make her last years happy and comfortable. it was a sacrifice, believe me, but it pales in comparison to the lifetime of sacrifice that she afforded dw. given the chance, we'd go thru he** to have one more day again with her. but that being impossible now, the only comfort we have is in knowing we did the right thing by her.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
Master Chef

You know you just got the biggest virtual hug possible from me!! I pray for the strength that you need to get through this. You will, I know you will. Just know that I'm here when you need to vent. You know I love ya!!

{{{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}
Old 03-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

Kadesma, yet again I'm thinking what a wonderful woman you are! Sofie & I are sending you tons of hugs & prayers!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm sending some of both. My mil lived with us the last year of her life. DH's brothers wanted to put her in a home, but we just didn't think it was the right thing. I wasn't her favorite dil, but before she died, she told me how much she appreciated us having her in our home and with no fussing. That amused me since I knew it was a problem if she visited the others. She really considered me her own daughter before she died. She talked to me about when she passed away and all the details she wanted. I think she felt some betrayal from her other sons. She had one older and one younger than DH. You will never regret doing all you can to help her. I'm not saying you will always have to have her with you, because dementia really gets to the point that only medically trained staff can handle them sometimes. Perhaps all of it hit your DH at a rough time and he will come around.