"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,467
Need advice.....

I need a new printer. I have a Lexmark but the ink cartridge price is ridiculous!!

I am thinking of getting an Epsom Eco Tank.

Any thoughts?
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,843
$300 for a printer?? And that's for black-only printing. The color one is $400! No way, says I.

Just for fun, I did a comparison of that printer with the current version of what I have, the HP Photosmart Plus. The one you linked to does not print photos, if that's important to you.

I get my printer cartridges at a discount from a place that refills them. The printer complains, but it works anyway.

Product Detail - Compare Page

Edit to add: The one I have is $81 locally. They price-match it, so you have to put in some info in order to see the price. btw, I've had mine for several years now and it works great.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
Ms M, so good to see you! I have missed being around.

This looks like an excellent printer. We dealt with Epson for many years and TB referred his customers (when he sold computers) to Epson. We recently went back to HP but to be honest I am not happy with either printer we have.

The fact you get that much ink and the refills are affordable sounds great. Epson usually backs up their word as well. The prices for each level of features also sound decent.

If you do get one, please let me know what you think!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
$300 for a printer?? And that's for black-only printing. The color one is $400! No way, says I.

Just for fun, I did a comparison of that printer with the current version of what I have, the HP Photosmart Plus. The one you linked to does not print photos, if that's important to you.

I get my printer cartridges at a discount from a place that refills them. The printer complains, but it works anyway.

Product Detail - Compare Page
The reason I said the prices are decent is you are getting up to 2 years of ink. Most cartridge printers come with factory cartridges that only have a limited amount of ink and then the cartridges are grossly overpriced.

Yes, you can do refills (which I never have but may start) and that does save money.

Actually GG, the 299 one does print colour and photos. I think the word "black" is meant that the printer is black.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,349
WOW, that's a lot of money for a home printer. I just bought this one. It was rated as the best home multi-function printer.


https://www.cnet.com/products/brother-mfc-j470dw/
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,467
Did you actually read the description?

"Epson Expression EcoTank All-in-One Printer: This wireless, all-in-one printer comes with up to 2 years of inką and lets you print up to 4,000 black/6,500 color pages.˛ Plus, the replacement ink bottles are affordable and you can print from your tablet or smartphone."

I tried knock off ink with the Lexmark and it's rigged so you can ONLY use Lexmark ink or the printer head will need to be replaced. I tried several different knock offs with the same result.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Ms M, so good to see you! I have missed being around.

This looks like an excellent printer. We dealt with Epson for many years and TB referred his customers (when he sold computers) to Epson. We recently went back to HP but to be honest I am not happy with either printer we have.

The fact you get that much ink and the refills are affordable sounds great. Epson usually backs up their word as well. The prices for each level of features also sound decent.

If you do get one, please let me know what you think!
Glad to see you also!! I don't post often due to pain typing.

I like Epson also because you can use knock off ink without any issues. I got the Lexmark because at the time Epson didn't have a paper draw and couldn't do double sided printing. The stand up paper feed was always getting jammed. My DD had to do ALOT of printing for school and having to deal with the jams and the odd/even flip printing got to be a PAIN.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,467
The link I posted should take you to a page with 7 printers and ink refills on it.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
I have an HP Envy. Slow as molasses in January, but I find the ink cartridges affordable, and the website has free shipping. I can print from my iPad too.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Did you actually read the description?

"Epson Expression EcoTank All-in-One Printer: This wireless, all-in-one printer comes with up to 2 years of inką and lets you print up to 4,000 black/6,500 color pages.˛ Plus, the replacement ink bottles are affordable and you can print from your tablet or smartphone."

I tried knock off ink with the Lexmark and it's rigged so you can ONLY use Lexmark ink or the printer head will need to be replaced. I tried several different knock offs with the same result.
Well, no, the page you linked to had several printers on it and I didn't know which one you were referring to.

As I said, I have had no problem with refilling ink cartridges for my HP,and it prints from any other device as well.

$300 is a lot of money upfront. If that's what you want to do, go for it
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.