"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Master Chef
I know when I had my first (c-section for breech position), My mom came and cleaned the house, cooked the meals and did the laundry. What a gift that was! She also took her turn holding and cuddling and changing diapers. I was breast feeding and so she really couldn't do that for me.

Plan on being the household helper. I'm guessing that the jaundice is taking longer to resolve because the mom is so tired and may not be producing a sufficient amount of milk to flush it out of the system. She may have enough milk to satisfy the hunger but it takes a lot of fluids to flush the jaundice out.

Enjoy your time with the new family!

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
Head Chef
When my mom came after my first, she did household stuff so I could devote time to baby. Housework, cooking, cleaning (scrubbing), laundry, errands, etc. Having someone to do visitor intervention is great, too. She was also very respectful of the husband/wife relationship, and also the role my husband played in our kids' lives, very hands-on dad, doing their first baths, late night feedings (bottle fed after first 6 weeks with first, others, bottle), it was his special time. also just having mom there to make tea...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Thanks dad! Your voice of experience is more than welcome. I think the problem with the baby is that the jaundice interferes a bit with breastfeeding. And since they can't be sure how much he is getting, they need to monitor for dehydration. I'm hoping the jaundice will be resolved by the time I get there tonight. O I'm off to the shower. Let the day begin! Oh boy, airplane food!
"First we eat, then we do everything else." M.F.K. Fisher
Laury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
They encourage you to breastfeed nearly constantly to deal with the jaundice. They also put them under the bili lights if necessary. They will suggest sunlight likely too. But really, she will not be allowed much rest on that front. (Heehee...front!) Sorry, I'm a bit goofy in the mornings.

To create milk her body needs sleep though. If I recall correctly prolactin is only made in the body during sleep. So...whatever you can do to facilitate naps will help.

Normalize things for her. She is going to feel a bit "nuts" with the hormone crash, if you can reassure her that this is normal, it will help. And just be a calm presence. Since this is her first she is going to be a bit freaked. It takes a couple of weeks to settle into anything resembling a routine.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Smile Update

Just wanted to let you all know that things are much better here. The baby is improving in leaps and bounds and the jaundice appears to be resolving itself. Little bits of "normal life" are resuming and both parents are completely in love with the little guy (as am I!). Mary is tired but all her instincts and hormones are doing what they're supposed to do. Steve could not be a better, more involved dad. This little baby is truly blessed with such great parents.
I'm so, so glad I came. It has made a difference in the stress level, I'm keeping them well fed and the laundry is caught up. A third pair of hands was definitely needed! Thanks for all your advice and support.
"First we eat, then we do everything else." M.F.K. Fisher
Laury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #16
Master Chef
thats great Laury!! They won't ever forget what you have done to help either.

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote