Need advice ladies! - garbage/recycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrissy1965

Assistant Cook
Old shoes contain multiple materials. This makes them less recycling-friendly. If they're already musty, it's very possible they're harboring mold. So I had chucked my 15!!!yrs:blush: old leather boots straight into the garbage:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5442/m2gn6.jpg
Ewww ......for me those old boots were normal household waste that should be burned in the garbage incinerator. Recycling is very important, but I think those old leather boots were truly gross non-recyclable waste :yuk:. Think Flylady would be proud of me :LOL: .

I am correct or not? Wasteful or not?

Don't know what Flylady's opinion would've been but I think I would've stuffed them with newspapers to see if some of the mustiness could have been eliminated. If so, if I didn't want to wear them anymore, I'd have donated them to a thrift store, etc. But, now, I have a feeling they're "sleeping with the fishes" in the words of a Godfather character.

By the way, they looked pretty good after 15 years. You know what's going to happen now, don't you? They'll be back in style in another 10 years and you'll be kicking yourself.:LOL::LOL: Isn't that how it always is?

Chrissy,
Next time ask your local shoe repair, sometimes they can use the material to patch or repair other things. I am sure they will take them.

Or keep the boots another 4 yrs when they come back in style.

:mad: Hey, why is it that you are asking only women? It is pure discrimination. ;)

I am no lady, but let me tell you anyway, next time you have doubts about your recycling call your recycling company. It is surprising how little they actually recycle. I use a lot of disposable dishes at home. Well; none of it can be recycled.

I am a recyling nut, and I know that Nike recycle old athletic shoes . But I would have pitched those old dress boots too. We never donate old shoes for the one reason that our feet have shaped the insides. Kinda like donating used underwear or socks ,.....you never know what has lived in them :eek:. I know it sounds harsh, but IMO those 15 years old boots were regular household waste. Hopefully I'm not alone with that opinion.....

Jeekinz, sorry to dissapoint but I am not lady either. As CharlieD indicated, your township/city probably has some guidelines and even a recycle center.
Where I live, the township gets paid by weight of recyclabes, so pretty much everything goes (sorted in three different bins for paper, plastic and glass)
There is no leather bin though.
Now that I am thinking, those boots could had made a pretty tasty brown stock.

:unsure: .....Does no one think that those old boots were normal household waste? Mmh …my old boots go finally into the trash because they smell so bad :blush: .

Michelemarie said:
Whatever the reason - its a good one to buy new boots!;)

Yep, this was a very good reason to buy new boots :) . The old boots looked like "stovepipes" :shock: and the soles were worn-out. I am all for donating but I think that those old musty boots were just plain household waste. Even my dog don´t want to chew on those old boots :LOL: .

All you have to do here is put something in the recycle bin and take to the curb. Whatever they don't take out isn't recyclable and ends up in the trash can.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom