Need all the help I can get.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, Chief! I am proud to be counted as your friend. I think of you as family, too! I do miss your girls, love them both. More hugs available on request.
Everything Fiona said and as many hugs as any of you need.

Chief, I was making my annual Mac & Cheese for our church's youth service conference and while at Costco getting the supplies I say Balderson's 4 year old cheddar on sale so I bought one to add in with the regular old cheddar and one for me.

As I grated the cheese for the Mac I thought of you and I told the youth that picked it up that there was special cheese in there for a special family who needed a lot of prayer right now. They prayed for all of you while they gave thanks for the meal.

I have seen the power of prayer coming from 40+ teens and 20 somethings. It is like nothing else on earth.

And I will think of you as I eat my block too!

There us no lack of genuine charity on DC. Many don't know what true charity is. I do, and I know what it is not. Charity is the love of one for another, and the expression of that love through service, prayer, and friendship. It is not necessarily giving of your physical resources. And truthfully, that kind of charity should be reserved for the needy, and poor, and coupled with desire to love one another.

Your charity is the kind of charity that both DW and I needed, and will always need. And I give the same back to all of you. You are my friends, and my brothers and sisters. We are family in spirit, in deed, and in the desire to help one another. Thank you all.

And now, my prayer is a prayer of thanks, and for my wife to be able to do the therapy, and change some of her behaviors so that she can again be strong and vibrant, so that she can participate in life to the fullest possible. Our challenges have made our union with each other as one, even stronger. I am less likely to bristle at little annoyances, am more empathetic, and more humble about the blessings I have received throughout my life.

D.C. is one of my ways to give something, hopefully of value, to all of you, and anyone else on this site. My recipes may not be the greatest recipes you have ever eaten, my advise, may not be the advise of a 5-star chef, but they are the best I know how to give. And the joy of saying congrats to someone who has succeeded in a goal is something I will always treasure.

Again, thanks to all of you, my friends, most of whom I will never get the chance to meet in person, at least not in mortality. But we are friends nonetheless.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

God bless you and your wife, Chief. I'll be standing by you and your wife in prayer always.

I look forward to hearing how she is doing and how you are doing.

I remember what our pastor has always said about marriage: "Not two feet, but four feet pass through life's doors."

That's so true.

Wow. I haven't updated anyone in a while. Here's what's going on. DW is on the mend. She left the hospital and is in an assisted living facility called TenderCare, in our home town. I see her every night, and call her at least once during the day. Her internal infections are all cleared up, and the nausea is starting to ease off, allowing her to slowly start eating normal food again. The colostomy bag is no fun, but can be removed in a few months. Her therapy is going well, and she is getting stronger by the day. She climbed stairs today. They are saying that tentatively, she could be back home in about two weeks.

i've cleaned up the house, creating a storage room with home made shelves from floor to ceiling, converted out study to a downstairs bedroom, built new shelves in the laundry room, replaced the front storm door (will replace the rear one before this week is done, and got rid of 1200 pounds of unused junk from the house. The bathrooms have been cleaned top to bottom with bleach water, and the slow water valve to the toilet repaired. I even put a new toilet seat on the toilet.

I bring DW requests for dinner such as fried rice with velveted chicken, cottage cheese, and pick up her meal replacement drinks as well. Work is going well. There were two big projects waiting for me when I went back, with both of them completed today. I've got a couple of projects still to complete such as building a porch roof over the back porch to deflect snow and ice the slices off of the north side and onto anyone, or anything unlucky enough to be there when it lets go. Last winter, we had snow piles from the sliding roof snow at least 6 foot high, and about five foot deep. The back door couldn't be used from blockage by the snow. Next spring, I will build a new garage, with the back door now becoming the main entrance to the house.

Best of all, what happened to DW really showed us how much we love each other, and how much we depend on each other. I have been blessed with great friends from our church, one of whom put me up for the entire month of August in his home, with his wife. They are empty nesters and had the space. Even so, the help was greatly appreciated. Three of our church Friends (very good women) helped with the last bits of house cleanup, and helped me get re-motivated to complete the job. It was simple vacuuming, and picking up some odds and ends. But I had done so much on my own that I needed the support. In addition, we really felt the support from all of our friends here on DC. It was every bit as important. I'm thankful for the prayers, and the heartfelt concern that was shown to us.

The other thing this challenge has taught me is that I have truly amazing children who were there for us as well, and that the world is full of very good people. The news media just has it wrong. There are many more good than bad. Now that the stress is eased up a bit, maybe I can get my blood sugar back under control.

Again, thank you. My wife wouldn't be alive if not for the support we received, or if she was, I'd have been a basket case.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Awww, Chief. What a wonderful husband you are, and you continue to amaze me as to how strong you are! So glad that you have a great support system!

{{{{hugs}}}}

Awww, Chief. What a wonderful husband you are, and you continue to amaze me as to how strong you are! So glad that you have a great support system!

{{{{hugs}}}}

That strength is the strength of faith, and the strength of putting you heart and soul into your family as they grow, and it comes back to you in ways that you never would have imagined. That strength is the strength of prayer and support, not only asked in faith by oneself, but by so many good people.

That's where strength comes from. It's not something special or unique to one person. It comes from community, and family. Nurture you familial relationships and you will always have someone in your corner. When it's your turn to be strong, be strong for those you love. Always treat others with sincerity, and integrity. When the challenge becomes your own, don't be afraid to accept the help of others. They will be blessed for their efforts. Don't deny them those blessings.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I am so happy for both you and your wife, along with your family. You know without saying or hearing it, that you will always have the support of all your friends here. You are held in the highest regard.

So she climbed some stairs. As a many time patient of surgery, climbing stairs is a major step in recovery. It tells the staff that she is going to be all right. As if there was ever any doubt.

Do please keep us up to date and let us know when she comes home. That day will call for a banner, balloons and flowers.

:angel: One for your wife and :angel: one for you. :angel:

Chief, I'm happy your DW is progressing so well. Kudos to you for all you have been doing to support her recovery and return home.

I am so pleased to read about your wife's improvement. I'm still sending healing vibes in her direction and keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

So nice to hear where DW is in her recovery!

She may need a bed cane .

If you need anything, PM me, I did do home care for a while.

I have one of those (though it was just marketed as a bed-rail. I love it because it keeps me from falling and helps me to sit up, turn over and lay down in bed. I would be lost without it!

Chief, thanks for the update. My Dad was in a place like your wife is now and it was wonderful for his recovery after his second hospitalization. The staff were great and he was allowed to have his TV, radio, etc.

I am still praying for all of you.

Great news, Chief! Continued good thoughts and prayers for DW, and everyone who loves her. I think of her often - thank you for the updates. :wub:

Last edited:
Dear Chief,
On this holiest day for me, I sent healing prayers to your wife.
I understand what you are going through. I had to modify the bathrooms and kitchens for my wife once she got out of skilled nursing care.
We have continued prayers for your wife's full recovery.

Chief, thanks a bunch for the update on your DW. I'm so happy she's doing so much better. Continuing to pray for her health and a return to your loving home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom