Need cashew - peanut expert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbb87

Cook
I tried asking this in a health forum and didn't get any helpful information. So I thought maybe a food expert might know.

Do cashews and peanuts that are available for purchase around this time of year have any differences than those that are available from March to October? Like, are they processed differently or come from a different area/country or something?

As embarrassing as this is, the reason I ask is that when I eat cashews and/or peanuts in late December or early January, I sometimes end up with severe Pruritus Ani (anal itching). I never have a problem any other time of year even if I eat twice as many. Oddly, according to the allergist, I'm not allergic to cashews or peanuts. It's definitely the cashews and/or peanuts, rather than some other food causing the itching. I suspect it's the cashews or a combination of cashews and peanuts rather than just peanuts. I know that cashews are related to the poison ivy family so I thought maybe the way they were processed or gathered may have something to do with it.

I also found this in a medscape.com article, "While cashews purchased from a reputable store are free of risk, poorly processed cashews retaining traces of oil from the shells can cause allergic dermatitis".

So I'm thinking my itching really does have to do with the way they were processed, gathered, or grown. The itching is very intense and non-stop like the time when I had poison ivy so it most likely has something to do with the cashews being related to poison ivy.

Any thoughts? This whole situation is really driving me crazy. Doctors are so unhelpful with this problem that I don't even bother going to them anymore when I itch.

It could be the processing. From what I understand, the oils between the nut and the shell of cashews is poisonious. Notice, you never find cashews in the shell?

That sounds like a very specific window of time, llb. Like, 2-weeks? Just around holiday time?

Do you receive the nuts as a gift at that time of year? Same source?

Is it possible that it's something else that you only eat/drink in a more substantial amount at that time of year? Or could it be something like that that interracts with the nuts?

Lee

There is no guarantee the nuts you eat during the holidays are processed just before consumption. It's entirely possible that the nuts you eat on the 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years were all processed at the same time.

I'd look to another food that is unique to the period of time when you experience the problem.

What about other things that are present in your environment during that small window of time? Are different air freshners used? How 'bout your wardrobe? Do you wear items of clothing during that period of time you don't wear the rest of the year? If so, were these clothes stored in closets or drawers that might have mothballs or sachets?

I'd look at the time period and see what is different/unique to the remainder of the year. Where you go, where you sit, what you eat, how you launder your clothing, whether any extra pets are around, everything. There's a clue somewhere. The difficult part is ferreting it out.

it sounds to me that lbb has done his or her homework, deducing that it's the nuts.

the fact that cashews are related to poison ivy and poson oak, and the shells containt an oil that causes skin irritation could be the clue.

Note for next year....Only eat peanuts in December-Early January for a time -- No Cashews! Then eat Cashews only for a spell...You may be able to identify which one is the culprit...Then ask Why???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom