Need computer setup help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I recently downloaded Windows 10 to my laptop. In the process, something went wrong and it said to refresh. I stated that all my files would be intact when done. I did so and sure enough, Windows 10 works beautifully, and all my files are intact. It did, however, wipe out all of my programs. I've got Skype back, and Microsoft Office back, at no cost for either, and will slowly get important apps back.

My problem is that whenever I start a web browser, the opening page is Yahoo. When an app goes to a site, it initially goes to that site, and then switches to the Yahoo home page. If I press a link to a site, it tries, and then Yahoo again presents itself. I've pointed my Chrome, and Internet Explorer settings to Google and it hasn't helped. I then ran a malware program, and a antivirus program to see if they could catch anything. Both state that my machine is clean. Anyone got any ideas on how to get Yahoo to quit forcing itself on me. There should be a stalking law against it. Sheesh.

Oh, and whenever I open Outlook, it refreshes itself every 5 seconds or so. I can't look at any of my email. Any fixes for that?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Try this

it sounds like your browser may have yahoo set as the homepage default and the setting is set to load it when you connect.

This is assuming you are using internet explorer for your browser... tell me if you use a different browser...

open interenet explorer... go to the TOOLS menu, Select INTERNET OPTIONS... in the GENERAL tab (which should be the open on you see first... there should be a line for a web address that says Home Page.

if what I suspect is happening is true... then you probably will see the yahoo address there in the address line.

click the USE BLANK button. it will remove the yahoo reference and put an "about:blank" in there... then hit the UPDATE button at the bottom of that dialog box window and then the OK button.

the next time you open explorer and connect to the internet it will not default to yahoo.
I found that by Googling yahoo keeps popping up. There may be other answers, so Google that

Ask the Yahoo page to direct you to Google. While in Google, select Tools>Settings, and put the google page URL into the appropriate window or select the correct button below the window.

In Windows 10 it's a little different. In Edge (IE is no longer the default), there are 3 dots, like an elipsis, at the very far right at the top bar. Your settings are hiding in there. The trick is that you can have multiple start up pages, so if you want to get rid of Yahoo, you not only have to add the one you want, you have to remove Yahoo.

In Chrome, There are 3 bars at the top right. Your settings are there, and you will see that you can choose a start page.

Firefox also uses 3 bars, but they use Options, rather than Settings.

HTH.

Chrome: in settings: open with a specific page: choose custom: enter a web address: delete (X) the Yahoo.

Unfortunately, this is a very common problem known as "browser hijacking."

For future reference, here is how it happens. You may have downloaded a free program, such as Adobe Acrobat or Oracle Java. When you run the installation, pay VERY close attention to the first couple of screens, rather than just clicking through on autopilot. Chances are it will prompt you to accept various user agreements for Yahoo, Ask.com, etc. If you click "yes" it will install these malware programs that hijack browser settings. These companies are very devious about sneaking this crap past you, so you really need to pay attention and read through all software installation options.

There is a Symantec product that will get rid of most of these.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100811171926EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this is a very common problem known as "browser hijacking."

For future reference, here is how it happens. You may have downloaded a free program, such as Adobe Acrobat or Oracle Java. When you run the installation, pay VERY close attention to the first couple of screens, rather than just clicking through on autopilot. Chances are it will prompt you to accept various user agreements for Yahoo, Ask.com, etc. If you click "yes" it will install these malware programs that hijack browser settings. These companies are very devious about sneaking this crap past you, so you really need to pay attention and read through all software installation options.

There is a Symantec product that will get rid of most of these.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100811171926EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

A lesson I learned after some time of yelling for Spike to HELP! I now read ALL of every screen comes up next. You really have to pay attention to what the "sneakers" are putting in there. :angel:

When I decide to download and install win10 on my wifes laptop, it failed the download. (super slow ISP) did not help.
So I decided to remove what did load.
What a trip that was.
Microsoft added a win update well before win 10 was available for download. This update readied the computer for the next step of download and install.

So if anyone wants to NOT run win10. Find update KB3035583 and remove it. Then hide the win10 download.
You must get rid of both.
She is perfectly happy with win7 and actually there's no need for her to learn a new program. She is still learning win7. lol

When I decide to download and install win10 on my wifes laptop, it failed the download. (super slow ISP) did not help.
So I decided to remove what did load.
What a trip that was.
Microsoft added a win update well before win 10 was available for download. This update readied the computer for the next step of download and install.

So if anyone wants to NOT run win10. Find update KB3035583 and remove it. Then hide the win10 download.
You must get rid of both.
She is perfectly happy with win7 and actually there's no need for her to learn a new program. She is still learning win7. lol
We installed win 10 on our desktop and now my DD can't play a game she paid for any more. It says we need to update the graphics driver but windows won't let us. SOOOOOOOOOOO I really don't see anything so great about win10 ..... I have some questions:
1- how do I completely uninstall it? Without losing any data on my PC.
2 - I did a search on my laptop for the file you referenced above and found 24 items all file names starting with "package_1_for_KB3035583..." or just "package_for_KB3035583..." either ending with .cat or .mum. Should I delete ALL of the 24 items.

Another question. Does this evil Win 10 automatically install? I rarely use my desktop, preferring my iPad, but when I do log in on the desktop, it always has a bunch of stuff it automatically installs, and doesn't tell me what it's installing.

Another question. Does this evil Win 10 automatically install? I rarely use my desktop, preferring my iPad, but when I do log in on the desktop, it always has a bunch of stuff it automatically installs, and doesn't tell me what it's installing.

No, but it will download and install updates that prepare your computer for eventually upgrading. You can disable automatic updates, although you might want to keep up with security updates, which you can download and install individually.

BTW, Windows 10 is not evil ;) Upgrading the operating system always runs a risk of problems, since the manufacturer can't account for all possible combinations of hardware and software, but when it's pre-installed on a new machine, it's fine. I've been using it on my new laptop I got in January and I like it. It's designed to look more like a tablet, so people who use tablets will find it pretty familiar.

Last edited:
Windows 7 update patch ending in 5583 will put an annoying prompt in your system tray to upgrade to windows 10. That's all that patch is for...to prompt you to upgrade Windows 10.

Windows 7 update patch ending in 5583 will put an annoying prompt in your system tray to upgrade to windows 10. That's all that patch is for...to prompt you to upgrade Windows 10.

I installed GWX control panel and it has gotten rid of the annoying pop ups.

But I read on a forum that I can NEVER go back to my original OS on my desktop since I installed win10 over a month ago. Even if I have a restore disk. Not sure if that's true. If it is Microsoft has some damn nerve!!

But I read on a forum that I can NEVER go back to my original OS on my desktop since I installed win10 over a month ago. Even if I have a restore disk. Not sure if that's true. If it is Microsoft has some damn nerve!!

Did you set a restore point before upgrading?

It's been well over a month so I am told I can't go that route.

Update; I've tried everything that has been suggested and I still can't use my Outlook voicemail. I think I will have to delete Word, and re-download it. What a pain this is. Also, still can't get Google to come up as my home page. Yahoo forces itself onto my screen. Thanks for trying though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Update; I've tried everything that has been suggested and I still can't use my Outlook voicemail. I think I will have to delete Word, and re-download it. What a pain this is. Also, still can't get Google to come up as my home page. Yahoo forces itself onto my screen. Thanks for trying though.

Hey, Chief. It's likely that a setting in the Windows registry could be causing your problem with Yahoo. I've been using a utility called Crap Cleaner for years to fix things like that. It does a lot of other great maintenance stuff, too - and it's free! :) Hope it helps.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

You can reinstall an earlier version of Windows. Here are instructions for doing that. Hope this helps.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2364269/how-to-reinstall-windows-like-a-pro.html

Last edited:
Have you looked under view/toolbars to see if you have an active Yahoo toolbar that keeps resetting your home page? If you do and it's clicked, try unclicking it and see if that works after a restart.

Alternatively, under 3 dots or 3 lines, click options/search and see what that shows and make appropriate changes.

I don't think you ever wrote what browser(s) you are using.

Back
Top Bottom