"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2006, 04:30 AM   #11
Head Chef

Cats are generally milk intolerant too. My healthy cat occationally gets a little milk to help keep things moving, (sorry). My vet recommended this as the cheapest way to do this in cats.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
Head Chef

Lulu, I've heard that too and have since given our cat a non-dairy cat milk occasionally for a treat. I like the idea of using real milk to help her when necessary.

Also, our vet recommends yogurt for our dog once a month for his gas (he is a STINKY dog when he gets stressed out ). Isn't it odd that they can't tolerate it yet it helps with this problem? I won't contemplate it too long since I'm just happy we found something that works!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
My vet would just tell me to buy a name brand product that used bi-products, BHT, and lots and lots of corn.. all of which is bad for dogs..

Really I just need to know if I can subsitute the oil. I know my treats are much healthier than anything the vet would try to sell me.
My vet doesnt do that, he simply suggests natural products, vegetables, rice, etc that help during stomach upset. Hope you find your answer soon. Why do you think it may be the safflower oil? Is this the first time you made this recipe? Did you use a different oil in the past that worked ok for your pooch? The only things I can think of other than the oil, is that perhaps your dog is allergic to one of the ingredients such as eggs or milk? I know many have mentioned milk, so that could be it.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #14
Head Chef

I understand, although my knowledge is shakey, that yoghurt is more digestable, something to do with lactase, and it is the "living" bit of the yogurt that counts, JMediger.

I know more about cat food, because of having to cater for our cat with allergies. I am hoping to start home production soon, but I'm scared of getting the nutrient balance wrong. In US their are much petter pet foods available. In UK average meat content of cat food is 4%...cats are obligate carnavores! I have been trying to import a US canned food called "Nature's Variety" for ages, but there hae been so many problems!

Dogs need meat but are capable of dealing with more variety. I always try and keep a certain amount of roughage in the diet for anal glands....they suffer otherwise!

My saga with pet food is a long one!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

There are alot of recipes that do not use milk,if the oil is the problem mayby you need to use a different oil like olive or another kind.