Need fundraising ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I have a friend with lung cancer. It is financially destroying them and they are going to have to sell their house. I'd like to do a fundraiser but have no idea where to start. They live in an itty bitty town about 30 minutes from me. I have a good 50 people that we worked with that I can contact to come to the fundraiser but it would need to be here, in my town, not my friend's hometown.

Does anyone have any ideas? They don't belong to any churches...

My first thought is to band the community together. You say there are 50 people that can come. Have each of them bring all their unwanted (but nice) items, along with baked goods. Advertise in your local pennysaver, making sure to note that all proceeds will go directly to your friend's Doctor bills. Also, have a donation box, and someone to write out receipts (for tax purposes, as it is a donation).

Churches really are best for these things, but as she's not a member, I'd go to any local facility that she's affiliated with, and ask for a donation of their grounds/parking lot for the event.

-------------------------

Another idea: Many franchised businesses do fundraising. Coldstone's Ice Cream & McDonalds regularly do them. They will take your "staff" of helpers, and let them work behind the counter, all the while, donation a percentage to the fund.

Contact the American Cancer Society. You may find a site on line with a google. Or The American Lung Society - if there is one. Good Luck to your friend. Sorry to read about the illness & toll on bills. My best.

Added: Re Housing, try contacting, by phone, local County Agencys in her area for assistance - shelter, medical, food etc. There can be long wait lists -- perhaps get the paperwork started ASAP. Presuming her insurance has run out, or she may not have any. Contatct the Social Security Admin. - and if necessary apply for SSDI. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks all. The one son is a firefighter and we're thinking about a pancake breakfast. The other son is in a band and the band would be willing to play for free.....I make beaded jewelry and would be willing to make a bunch to sell.

*&$%^# - why can't people just put where they live (at least the city, state and/or country) in their profile without making people have to go out and try to figure it out! :(

Since it appears you live somewhere in the USA Angie - you might check out the American Cancer Society website, or the American Lung Association - they both have State associations but we don't know what state you live in - so I can't give you links to those ... you'll just have to ferret those out from the National Org websites (use those contact us buttons and send them an email). But - I'm sure that using the contact info from either/both website(s) they can give you some ideas.

Don't know where your friend lives - no idea where you live - what might be totally feasible in one situation would be totally unrealistic in another. How much money are you trying to raise ...how many people in the community? People who live in your "friend's" community are more likely to help than someone living in a town 30-minutes away. However - if they live in an "itty bitty town" - funds and resources there are going to be limited.

I applaud your attempts to help your friend - and trust me, I DO know what cancer treatments cost ... it was costing my Dad about $700/month over what his insurance paid - and he had totally awsome insurance!.

Last edited:
Ooops! I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa....

She did contact the American Cancer Society and they are going to help with gas for the radiation treatments (they are paying around $60 a week for gas) but that's all that I'm aware of at this point.

Is there a Salvation Army in your area? They may be able to help out also.

You might try to enlist the help of business in and around your area. Have them donate items or gift certificates........not only will they be supporting a good cause but its free advertisement for their business. Have an auction to sell the items you receive. Also, contact the local radio and television stations and plead for their help too.

Make it a full event and enlist everyone you can. Have the firefighters have the pancake breakfast. Have the local ladies have a bake sale. Have the auction and also a social gathering with the band.

Put out as many money cans as you can at businesses. Make up signs and stand out at intersections and ask for assistance.......granted get permission from the local law enforcement.

How about a community yard sale or mystery box lunch auction, you and your friends put mystery foods in paper bags, decorated boxes (baked goods, lunches, whatever) then auction them off to the high bidder, did it for SPCA once and raised a bit, was fun. Can't think of anything to raise a really huge amount though.... sorry.

I've seen (& participated) in bowl-a-thons, benefit concerts, spaghetti suppers (or some other meal), etc. Get the local newspaper/radio stations to do announcements. Set up an account with a local bank. These are all things that you can pull together quickly.

When my son was injured, his friends organized a concert for him, and raised over $50,000. This is a different age group, I know, but I was thinking a dance? Get the local VA hall involved, they'll usually rent out fairly cheaply. You could also organize events like the bake sale, auction, refreshments, whatever, under the same roof.

Another idea - a walkathon; get folks to walk x number of miles, and raise money in pledges.

Is their church involved? Church organizations can be a tremendous help in raising money.

Just remembered also, the coffee shop where my son worked part-time put a gallon jar at the cash register, and they managed to raise over $10,000 just with folks contributing their change.

Get local TV/radio involved, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom