Need gift ideas for parents...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the parent dillemna as well. What I do is go to local stores and find local food products. Be it a local company that makes sauces and pickles, Wisconsin cheese or maple syrup, whatever. It makes a great package that the entire family enjoys. I'm with all of you, at some point it is difficult to buy for those who buy what they want when they want it. But I don't just "buy" a package, I choose the various sauces, relishes, and my dad's favorite that he cannot get in the south, cheese curds. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time figuring out what I want and what I want to give to my husband. I'm learning that even my younger relatives love the food packages I put together.

One option, too, if your family is religion or charity oriented, is a gift to their favorite. Two of my friends this year sent $$ or goods to my favorite charities, and believe me, hubby and I were happy!

A bottle of wine from a local winery or hootch from a local distillery are also a good gift if your family is so inclined.

My sister ask me the other day what I wanted? I told her I have every cooking gadjet known to man so I told her I wanted a sack to put it in. She told me they don't make em that big LOL. I bought myself a kirchen pot that doubles as a french fryer/ slow cooker/soup pot . My kitchen is so small I have to have multi tasking equipment. I think if you got mom and pop to a fancy restaurant or a B@B they would enjoy it

There is always something.

Give them a day of your time.

Start out with taking them to breakfast.

Then go do something they might like to do.

Then a lunch.

Then more stuff they might like to do and then dinner, out or at your place. Or take out.

Whatever they might like.

Just a thought.

why not give them a ticket for two to go to the place of their choice?.hmm let em see..ah!..how about hawaii?..or jamaica?..hey man!..lol...:)

My parents - dad is 80 and mom is 75. I go to the Gas and Electric company or Their cell phone or Reg phone co. and put money on their account, grocery store certicates, gas cards, Things that will help them out everyday. They don't need anymore nic knacks or gadgets.
Last year they all kinds of deliveries of Honey Ham co. - Omaha steaks and they panic. thought they would never used the food up before it went bad - even tho they froze most, It bothered them, So the groceries store ones work when they want the food.

They don't go to movies, yet they get certicates to the movies, They only go to a few resturants of the favorites but yet they get certicates to others. So remember if getting certicates go where they go.

Happy Holidays

why not give them a ticket for two to go to the place of their choice?.hmm let em see..ah!..how about hawaii?..or jamaica?..hey man!..lol...:)

Lol! If I could afford that I would be going!!!! What's funny is when we were talking my mom said "send us on a cruise!" I was like if I could afford that I'd be sending myself!!! They've been on 2... I've never been...:ROFLMAO:

Massage, facial, pedicure, manicure.

Tickets to a play, a concert, a sporting event.

Have a car detailing service come to their house & clean & detail their cars.

Pay for the season of snow removal or landscaping.

Magazine subscriptions.

A year of monthly gifts...fresh cut flowers, bulbs, cheese, wine, baked goods.

A year membership to a museum.

Personalized stationary & stamps.

Have their chimney cleaned, driveway repaved, house painted, rugs cleaned.....

wow, clienta. can i come live with you? been to all three; you're a lucky person. except i'd trade the east coast for the west coast in fla.. ;)

all good ideas, thanks. i think the car detailing might be a good idea, but i'm trying to think of something significant, or relating to 60 years of love and commitment. maybe a monthly gifty thing for 60 months?

csalt and rom, thanks, and it's a great idea but my sister is doing a picture thing.

auntdot, i've already offered/scheduled the annual carpet cleaning i do for my parents, but a surprise (-ish. you shouldn't upset the schedule of old folks all that much :)) brunch or dinner might be nice.

I know you're thinking to yourself, whose easier to get presents for than parents! Well, you don't have mine. :ermm: Every year we go through this and it's driving me crazy. I refuse to get gift cards. Don't get me wrong, they're awsome for aquaintences, co-workers, secret Santa kinds of stuff and your mailman. They don't collect anything, have no hobbies, don't watch/collect movies/cds, or anything general I can think of. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Of course when I ask my mom says oh, you don't have to get anything... ya, right.:dry:

Cost isn't an issue if it's worth it but I generally don't spend more than 100-200$ for them. This is my only family so I don't mind splurging on them, I have no one else to get gifts for.

So hit me with ideas! What do you get 2 people who want nothing!!!!:unhappy:

I like the idea of spending time with them. i.e. Make a reservation (& join them) at their fave restaurant - or a new one they might enjoy.

A day of pampering i.e. a spa. Mom & Dad can relax, get massages, indoor jacuzzi or steam room, facials (men need to look good & take care of their skin too), manicures, pedicures, lunch.

It's too late for this year, but perhaps next year - If you have a family photo, there are certain artists that will make an oil painting/portrait from the pic. (Try a google or yellow pages.)

Happy Holidays.:)

ETA: Didn't read thru all the responses, so, sorry if there are any duplicates.

Last edited:
I gave my father an account at myc4.com. This way he can help eradicate poverty in africa and at the same time make a little money in a fun way.

Back
Top Bottom