Need help cleaning my ceramic cooktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
This morning I was making applesauce and got distracted. It boiled over onto my top and cooked right on. Any ideas how I can get that mess off ?

I've heard others say they use a rezor blade to scrape off the dried stuff. Does your owner's manual tell you what to do?

Lynda, I have a glass cooktop and use a razor blade.I have a holder that you put the blade into and it gives you a better safer grip. I put on a white stoptop cleaner then just push forward on the holder and it takes off all the mess.

kadesma

Lyndalou, I'm no expert, but can you put a really wet rag down on it for a bit to let it absorb some of the liquid and then gently scrub it off?

If you are hesitant to use a razor blade on your cooktop, you might want to use a plastic putty knife. I keep two of those (a 1-inch and a 3-inch) by my sink to gently scrape bits out of my nonstick pans. Just an idea.

expert here!

1) damp paper towel to wipe up what you can.
2) razor blade to scrape off the rest (yes get a painter's razorblade scraper holder at the hardware store and a box of 1 sided razor blades...change em every month.)
3) get a bottle of glass top range cleaner (it's a silcon product) with a damp paper towel apply the cleaner and polish the top.
4) dry and buff with a dry paper towel

It will be good as new. Using paper towels prevents putting grease from a sponge or dish rag onto the stove top. The cleaner is also a glass polish wich helps make spill overs easier to remove in the future. CLean the stove top regularly with this method. It will look great for years to come.

after cooking, i spray mine with orange cleaner. then clean. tongs, a damp cloth.....
buff later if that's important. mine's shiny & probably ancient & shines yet.

Last edited:
I have a ceramic cook top and DH is always burning stuff so I searched & searched and finally found a product that for me works extremely well. It is called Bar Keepers Friend. In my area I get it at Wal-Mart

bar keepers friend is excellent for so many kitchen jobs...polishing copper and brass, cleaning glass etc. It is an oxylic acid product, dating from the later 1800s.

Dawn Dissolver might be a good product to use. I have excellent success with it so far and I have cleaned a lot of ceramic surfaces with it. I have been encouraged by a lot of friends to try the eraser cleaning sponges. They really swear by them.

Been there and done that--boil a kettle of water, saturate a cloth with boiling water and place over the congealed mess---let stand for 30 minutes and lift up----if any residue is left--use the barkeeper to get up the residue that is left--works most of the time and GOOD LUCK!!!

PS--Forgot to add that if you are in some part of the world that doesn't have Barkeeper's Friend try using a paste of baking soda and water which will abrade and rub junk away without scratching the surface. Believe me, Kazakhstan does not have Barkeeper's friend and I have a ceramic top cooker and this works very well for me after following my instructions in the above posting.

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I got the gunk off, but was sweating it, I can tell you. My stovetop is white, so you can imagine what a mess I had.

I soaked a paper towel in hot white vinegar and laid it over the mess, then after about 1/2 hour, I started with the razor blade. Seemed to take forever, but gradually I got most of it off. The rest came off with the cleaner I bought at Lowe's.

Thanks again to all of you.

Back
Top Bottom