Need help finding food for temporary dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton

Cook
So, my brother was supposed to take care of the dog at the owner's home but because of personal issues he's left the responsibility with me. The dog is a small terrier of some sort. My brother brought with him a container of small kibbles with a few liver treats in them which are supposed to encourage him to eat the kibbles but they've all been eaten now.

I'm just not sure what to feed him now. I plan on making a stop at the local grocery and getting one of those moist canned foods, but I'm worried if I'll be feeding him the wrong thing.

Fortunately, this is only for a couple of days before we return him.

EDIT: One more thing I wanted to mention, he did vomit earlier this morning. I'm guessing it's because he hasn't eaten anything in the last day.

Last edited:
You can just buy a small bag of kibble rather than wet food. If you have any bits of gravy or anything with your own meal you can put that on his food. Or add some rice or a bit of cheese.

That's the thing; he won't eat the kibbles that we already have.

And I thought the things we eat aren't necessarily good for dogs to eat.

Any idea what they were feeding him? I would buy him the same food he is already eating. If that is not possible, I say feed him what you have. When he gets hungry enough, he will eat it. Those little doggies can get spoiled!

And I thought the things we eat aren't necessarily good for dogs to eat.

don`t think that so much, scraps are good for dogs, that`s all they ever ate during the War, and there were plenty new dogs made! if you follow my meaning.

Don`t Panic! :cool:

I wouldn't feed him table food.Some dogs have a reaction to table food. If my dog gets table food and has seizures. I would just buy a cheap bag of food he'll eat when he's hungry.

I would definitely try to buy him the same food he's been eating if you run out. Switching low quality foods (ones found in a grocery store) can really cause an upset system. Much worse than him vomitting.
If the vomit was yellow, a little foamy and slimy, then he threw up due to an empty stomach. The stomach acids didn't have any "work" to do.

In order and one at a time I would do:

Try wetting his food with water. Even if it's not a "gravy style" food, wetting it seems to be some kind of treat for them. Sometimes.

Also, some dogs don't like to eat in front of an audience. Can you put his food with him at night, leave it out where he can get to it, something along those lines?

My next step would be adding a little broth to it. Just enough to soak into the food and get his nose in the bowl. Chicken broth from a can is OK.

Even though table scraps are much better for him than a lot of dog foods on the market, his owners may not appreciate it. He may become a table beggar when they are eating, if he isn't already. But YT is right, dogs existed for years before commercial foods became available and they suddenly started needing all these vaccinations.... but that's a whole nuther topic :ermm:
It's really hard with him being passed around, but I wouldn't want to send him home with any bad habits he may or may not pick up. If the owners even care.

And, dogs can go 48 hours without even feeling hungry. Most dogs eat out of habit and because they enjoy it. Although knowing that may not stop the yellow bile. It's just that he isn't going to die or anything if he isn't eating every day.... unless he's diabetic that is.

Do NOT give the dog wet food or people food unless you want to clean up some nasty diahrrea (sp).

Feed him the food he has been eating. Or some high quality dry food.

If he doesn't eat it, leave it out for him. He'll eat it eventually. One of my dogs only ate very late at night for some reason. They sure won't starve themselves.

lol..he's holding out for the treats..seems he already has bad habits. Just a good quality dry food. When he's hungry enough he will eat it.

Do NOT give the dog wet food or people food unless you want to clean up some nasty diahrrea (sp).

By "wet food" you mean canned or soft food, right?
Just wetting a dog's food with water or a little broth will not give them diarrhea that I have ever seen. And I feed a lot of dogs and once in a while need to entice an appetite or two :)

:)You could make some rice or oatmeal cooked in some chicken broth add little bits of chicken or beef leftovers.If your really worried scramble an egg and mix in a little rice or serve it alone.I haven't met a dog yet that doesnt like scrambled eggs.

I didn't see anyone mention it... but did the owners leave a number they could be reached at in case of emergency? I know the dog I watch over, I have his owners home and cell, as well as his son's. If so, just call and ask what his regular food is. Switching food without a gradual change can cause an upset tummy. And like Pacanis mentioned, if the vomit was yellow and foamy it was bile due to an empty stomach. My dog does it every once and a while when she doesnt feel good and hasn't eaten.

I didn't see anyone mention it... but did the owners leave a number they could be reached at in case of emergency? I know the dog I watch over, I have his owners home and cell, as well as his son's.

This is probably a good time to mention to folks that watch over someone else's pet (not just you Jen, but you broought it up ;))... The emergency contact needs to work in twofold; 1) If something happens to the pet. 2) If something happens to the owner.....
It doesn't do any good to have their cell and their son's cell if both are going to a family reunion, travelling togther and their car rolls over (or worse).
Are you prepared to care for their dog for a month? Longer? What would be their wishes for their pet if they are unable to care for it anymore?

Grave thought, but it happens :(

:)Not only that but you should have the pets veterinarians number so if there is a problem he/she has the pets records

hope that all works out........we've acquired our daughter's pet rabbit for the next 3 weeks while she's at a debate tournament in Thailand and she left (NO KIDDING) 4 pages of instructions on how to take care of "Myra" with special emphasis on diet requirements.....so hope that the pooch recovers and walks sound good to me

He might not be eating because he's missing his owner. Our dogs usually eat much less than usual when we go away (which of course makes us feel very guilty - all part of their plan :)) but they resume their normal eating patterns when we're back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom