Need help from OZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
A week ago or so I mentioned Tim Tams on an email list I am on. I think we were talking about not being able to find certain products from country to country... I don't remember what exactly we were talking about or how they came up, but up they came.
Today I opened up my mailbox to see a package in it from Australia.... YES! Tim Tams! :) From an internet friend in Australia who remembered me saying I could not find them where I lived.

So of course I want to surprise them back. I know that graham crackers can't be found there, but they are kind of an aquired taste unless you roast some marshmallows and have some chocolate on hand. Can you get Oreos in Oz? I'd like something non-perishable that would make a nice return gift.

What do you folks down under think would make a nice trade?

pacanis, yes you can find Oreos in Australia. Looked back to YT's post about the UK just getting them. :) Dawn
Look on page 3:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Uuuh, I'll take your word for it :)
So I know Oreos are out.

Yeah, I was so excited I probably posted this at the wrong time of the day.

Help here!!

What do you think of the Tim Tams!!!!

Yes, we do have Oreos, my sister makes the best Oreo Ice Cream. Anyway, non-perishable are good idea. When I was in Honolulu quite a few years ago I found Low Fat Twisties in a can, heaven on a diet, can't get them here. Graham Crackers are a real specialty and only found in specialty shops in the major cities like Sydney and Melbourne.

I would suggest things like biscuits, snacks, peanuts, honey, spice blends, the type of things you see in christmas hampers for overseas relatives.

I will get in touch with Bilby tonight for you, she is sure to know and I'll get back to you.:)

Hershey's Chocolate Sauce!! The online website I saw for Oz deliveries worked out at about A$12 for a small bottle!!!! The 'smore kit sounds good, and isn't there another "'s" dish that you guys talk about? I have no recollection of what US chocolate tastes like or what you have on the market place. Clamato juice for a Bloody Caesar would be interesting. Bay seasoning, or Montreal steak rub

I think though I would listen more to Cath or Rom as what you can get on the East coast of Oz is much different to Perth. We don't get much variety of foreign goods. Can't even get a decent sour gherkin here; they're all sweet these days. The US has so many canned products that we just can't get, and often things that you would think of as common place, like canned onion rings!

Just be careful with our Customs as we can be very picky on some food items. Hmm, thinking about that, I would steer away from spices and the like. And definitely no honey!! (Cath, you haven't been watching Border Patrol have you!! LOL)

I'll have a think and post further if I can Pacanis. But if you think of something else, post here and one of us will let you know if we can get it or not. My knowledge of US foods is pretty much limited to DC info!! Lovely idea!

Cath and Bilby, I heard from my DD, that Kraft is going to go global. This means if you have Oreos, you should soon have Nabisco graham crackers also, as they are a Kraft product. Not sure about things like Cool whip, Jello, and Lunchables but you naver know.

We have had Nabisco since I was a kid, although some of the products got dropped when they got taken over. Cool whip has made it to Sydney but will probably some time before it crosses the country. Kraft will have stiff competition from Aeroplane Jelly Crystals!! ROFL What's a Lunchable?? We have Munchables! Are they similar perhaps? Oreos have been around for several years cos I used to take a supply into hospital with me for those hours between dinner at 5:30pm and breakfast at 8am!!! Oreos and iced water (if there was any left or they had left the kitchen unlocked) for a midnight snack!! The little things in life. ;-)

Hey that made me think Dawn, Kraft make those crumbing mixtures don't they Shake 'n' something. Don't think we have those here. Got to check out a US online grocery site and see what's available!

Bilby, Shake and Bake. They still make them, for chicken and pork and now for your spuds. Lunchables are like portable lunches for kids; cheesefood, meat and crackers, a juice and cookie or candy bar; lil pizza crusts, sauce, pepperoni,cheese, juice, cookie or candy bar; chicken fingers, dipping sauce, cookie or candy bar and juice.

The Tim Tams were geat, Cath. I just had three. It would be hard not to finish the whole box. And yes, I bit the end off and drew some coffee up through it :)

The person who sent them to me is from Western Australia.... Canning Vale. I don't want to get too crazy with shipping items. There's the shipping costs to consider, but Hershey's syrup sounds like a great idea. And should hold up to the heat you folks said you are having. (That's one reason I kind of ruled out Hershey chocolate bars, Buddy). You don't have Grill Mates either? Would that be too risky because it's a spice?

Is this the Hershey's "sauce" you are speaking of?

Attachments

• 386507.jpg
    386507.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 134
Some Christmas gifts should never be mailed - DAFF
What Can't Be Mailed To Australia? - DAFF

Yeah that's the Hershey's I'm talking about. Never tried it myself but the thread on egg flips recommended that or U something which I couldn't find a price on. Wait another week or so before sending it and Autumn should really be here.

Whatever item you decide on, I'll check our local sites for it and Canning Vale is near my mum so I can easily slip into one of their local shops and see whether they have it over their way as opposed to where I am (which has nothing!!!!). I'll look up Grill Mates now and get back to you.

I've had a look at the Australian McCormick site and we don't have anything marketted as Grill Mates but there are several spice mixes for bbq's listed, so if you do go down that path, you might want to have a look at the site (www.mccormicks.com.au) although they won't be named quite the same, they may still be the same blend.

Hey us Sandgropers are easier to buy for than those Easterners!! Much more limited for choices here!! LOL

And Dawn, these are our Munchables. Sounds pretty similar to the Lunchables.

Pacanis, I spoke with someone in my local gourmet store - they have heaps of different chocolate dessert syrups - and they don't stock Hershey's sauce and the inference they gave me (but didn't come out and actually say) was that they can't get it. HTH

Thanks Bilby.
If you already have lots of chocolate choices, then I'll look for something else..... unless Hershey's is so much better for some reason...

Wouldn't know as I haven't had Hershey's! Haven't had many of the other gourmet ones either but the standard ones that you get in the main grocery stores (Cottees, Dick Smith, generic Home Brands) are really dull. So even though you can get gourmet sauces, most people don't cos they are too expensive for everyday, esp if you have kids. Most people only have them when they are given to them.

Liquid smoke may be another thing. No idea when you use it as I had never heard of it til DC. I know you can get it in the East and online but have never seen it here but then, haven't really been looking very far. Probably fits more with your grilling preferences.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom